Thread: Need recommendation for press for swaging aluminum oval sleeves

Default Need recommendation for press for swaging aluminum oval sleeves

Howdy Folks,

A friend has an application where he will be swaging a large number of Locoloc rope sleeves onto nylon rope and is looking for advice on what sort of press to use. The sleeves in question are customized SL1-10R and SL1-12R from Loos (Link to Loos), with the customized bit being that they're only 3/4" in length rather than the standard 1-1/4" and 1-7/16". Loos spec'd out a suitable swaging die for him, but had little advice on what kind of press to use other than it might take upwards of 5 ton to complete the swage (although likely half that). The Loos catalog says to use their #4 Hydraulic press for the SL1-10R and 12R, but a 30 ton press seems like quite a bit of overkill and unnecessary cost.

A couple other factors.... His time study needs the die go from open to closed to back open in ~10 seconds and removal of the completed piece and loading with a new one to happen in ~20 seconds. Repeatability of the swage is a must, as he needs to be able to hand this process off to someone else. And finally quieter is better, both for the sake of his hearing and because he's working in a residential neighborhood.

I'm thinking at 5 tons a simple arbor press or kick press would do nicely, provided something was done for die alignment.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    -aric.

The time u need would toss the hydraulic press out i would think . How fast are the air operated ones? I dont own an air one but i know i can gettem everywhere.

There was a discussion of this here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...hlight=swaging
    I didn't read it all, but you might find something useful.
    "I am not academically qualified. I am what I call QBE - thatís my degree - Qualified By Experience."

Rupert Neve, Audio Technology Magazine Issue 1, March 1998

I have used a punch press to do something similar back in the late 50’s
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Thanks Guys!

Posted this on PM as well, and got a bit more response there. Someone pointed out this is what fly presses were used for back in the day, and with a bit more digging I turned up a blacksmith supply place in WI that imports seemingly decent ones. I'm pretty excited about this, as I'd been lusting after a fly press a while... :-)

Oh, and I passed the contact info over to my friend.

You can get at least up to 5 ton arbor presses with mechanical activation which would give the fast cycle time needed. Here is one on E-Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERSTATE-5...item20c88efc75

A mechanical stop for the arm would provide the repeatability.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Default Fly press

I have a #3 Flypress that I purchased from Bob at the aforementioned shop in Wi. I have known him for 25 years. If you have any doubt as to the suitability of the flypress for your application I know that you will get a straight answer from him.
    The flypress has a high cycle rate, and has a good resale if you don't find another use for it.

see:
    http://www.oldworldanvils.com/flypresses/index.html
    http://www.abana.org/ronreil/flypress.shtml
    http://fredlyfx.com/flypress.htm

Quote Originally Posted by adatesman View Post
    Thanks Guys!

Posted this on PM as well, and got a bit more response there. Someone pointed out this is what fly presses were used for back in the day, and with a bit more digging I turned up a blacksmith supply place in WI that imports seemingly decent ones. I'm pretty excited about this, as I'd been lusting after a fly press a while... :-)

Oh, and I passed the contact info over to my friend.

Thanks for the referral, Ironmonger! I've already found the first two links, but looking forward to going through the third now that everyone else is asleep. I really think this is the route my friend should go, and already forwarded him the info. He's apparently still away for TurkeyDay, but we should be getting more info/questions from him tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks Paul!