Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Oil Spill Cleanup

Default OT - Oil Spill Cleanup

A couple of nights ago, just as I was ready to quit and hop in bed (naturally), I had a massive oil spill in a corner of my garage/shop.

Somehow I snagged the little drain plug of a plastic oil change container and before I noticed and got it stopped, I had probably a quart or two ...maybe more, of black oil spread out over a 4ft square area.

Fortunately I had a large bag of Oil Dri on hand, and with it and a piece of plexiglass used as a squeegee I got it contained and soaked up.
    After cleaning up all the liquid soaked clay granules, I left a fresh layer of Oil Dri on overnight and next day removed that, and then scrubbed over the area with Gunk engine cleaner. Then I cleaned up the Gunk with Simple Green, followed by hot water to dilute/remove the Simple Green.

The area still appears as a stain, darker than the surrounding concrete, but that's probably the best I'm going to do appearance wise.
    The problem now is the odor of that Gunk. ...a strong kerosiney, gasoliney smell.
    Anybody have any good suggestions for ridding the odor?

For that matter, I'd be interesting in hearing of other, better approaches than what I did.

Dr Stan Guest

Hum, maybe baking soda? Worth a shot.

I've never used Gunk to clean up oil stained concrete. In general I stick with Simple Green or TSP and a good stiff brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Stan View Post
    Hum, maybe baking soda? Worth a shot.

I've never used Gunk to clean up oil stained concrete. In general I stick with Simple Green or TSP and a good stiff brush.
    It does a great job of getting the oil stain off. On a driveway or outside surface where the odor doesn't matter that's always been my "go to" solution.
    Spray that on, and use a wire brush, and the stain is gone. ...of course you're left with a bright, clean spot surrounded by the normal dirty, worn, weathered surface. But in time the difference fades away.

I just finished going over it again with Zep Purple cleaner. I see how that works. ...it's still damp now.
    If that doesn't do it I'll give the ol' baking soda a try.

What about asking BP, think they learned a few tricks lately ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    What about asking BP, think they learned a few tricks lately ?
    That was exactly my first thought when I saw that oil spreading out! ...BP.

Pour some mineral spirits on the stained area. Then cover that with your oil absorbent and leave it for a day or so.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Call up you local oil furnace/service supply house, they sell stuff that you can spray on cleaned up diesel spills that will remove the odour instantly, I cant remember the name of it but any supplier should have it. Years ago when I drove a service truck up north, I always had a can on hand for oil burner servicing...
    Cheers,
    Jon

When using TSP remember that it cleans the inside of your lungs as well as the stain. Use plenty of ventilation.

I go for the painted floor trick. Go to a large paint supplier and ask for their leftover.
    It is surprising the good paint you can get cheap if you don't care about the color.

I have an orange floor and an off color gray one and God-awful blue-green one, all high quality deck paint.
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

I like to use sawdust from my table saw as an absorbent , and use a water based cleaning agent such as laundry detergent . Add some water, and use a stiff bristle brush to scrub. Some of my spills are in my basement , and too close to my gas water heater to use flammable solvents. As a final treatment, some of that odor eliminator mentioned above sounds good, if it's also non-flammable.
    ( I've never used it, but I'll do a search for it.)
    Last edited by Bill736; 11-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.

I always grind in the oil dry into the concrete with my boot making it break down into smaller particles that I'm guessing get into the rough surface better.
    I haven't noticed a stain when I do this.
    Cheers,
    Gary