Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed handle for mill quill

Steve, I have the same type of wheel on both my mills and like it a lot. I got use to that type of feed while running a P&W jig bore, much nicer than what comes on Bridgeports/clones. I used after market wheels and bolted them to the factory center after removing the handles.

Charlie
    NMLRA Life Member
    Lumpsmith

I removed the extra handles from my 3 handled quill feed wheel. Just got in the way.

This looks really nice, but it only locks in 2 positions? I think I would of made 3 or 4 positions.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Brian, Try swapping the quill lock round so the lever is on the back.
    I had loads of bother with the weight of the lever dropping and making the quill stiff as it tightened up.

When it's on the back if it falls it stays free.
    I put a Neodymium magnet on the bottom quill locknut, holds the Quill lock up a treat I do occasionally have to wipe off the swarf tho.

Very interesting thread. I am not familiar with this kind of speed handle but I take it that there is a locking mechanism that keeps the quill from moving when the handle is in the proper position. Where is this locking mechanism, in the mill or in the speed handle?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Cheers for the comments guys, as I've not really introduced myself I'll take the barracking on the paint colour as a warm welcome, I chose that colour, but it eneded up lighter than I expected, and is not a good choice unless you like cleaning - which I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons View Post
    I removed the extra handles from my 3 handled quill feed wheel. Just got in the way.

This looks really nice, but it only locks in 2 positions? I think I would of made 3 or 4 positions.
    On the BP, there is an index plate on the quill feed with 10 or 12 holes, so you just move the handle round, engage the most suitable position for where you're drilling etc.

I'm struggling to get the image below to embed in this post so hopefully will work as a link.
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lqPksmOKCOImxU

Brian

I don't know what a speed handle does. Am I correct in that this device allows the operator to place the handle in a comfortable position regardless of the height of the table or where the quill's depth stop is located?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ennis View Post
    I don't know what a speed handle does. Am I correct in that this device allows the operator to place the handle in a comfortable position regardless of the height of the table or where the quill's depth stop is located?
    Yes, in a nutshell. You can do this anyway on a Bridgeport, the only advantage of this evolution, and where the 'speed' comes from is that you don't have to remove the handle to achieve it, just move the lever stem towards the machine head which retracts pin so you can rotate the lever to the position of you choice. On a standard lever you have to pull the whole assembly away from the machine , rotate it then push it back on, which is invarably a two handed operation.

Brian
    Last edited by goodscrap; 12-22-2012 at 09:59 AM.

This would have been a good submission to the magazine. I'm putting this on my "someday I'm going to do this" list.

I had no idea what a locking handle quill thingamajig did either. Some of us lived a good previous life and have not had the bad karma to own a Bridgeport! Those of us that were good get to own good German or Eastern Block machines. Thank you, I'll get my hat!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Some of us lived a good previous life and have not had the bad karma to own a Bridgeport! Those of us that were good get to own good German or Eastern Block machines. Thank you, I'll get my hat!
    That was a really underhanded reply that hurt..................You don't know how much but then again unless you have owned a POS Bridgy you must be a saint.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.