Thread: More Carriage Stop

Post More Carriage Stop

Thanks to BillH! An example of how useful this forum is! The first thing I made for my JET 9x20 three years ago was a carriage stop. I used Delrin because it is easy to machine, seemed to be strong enough and wouldn't scratch the ways. It never occurred to me what a handy indicator holder it would make. Every time I needed to measure carriage motion I rigged up some awkward arrangement to hold the indicator. The photos (if I've managed to post them correctly) show the original stop and, thanks to a word from BillH, its improved form.

http://www.tidewater.net/~helbigh/Old_Stop.JPG
    http://www.tidewater.net/~helbigh/New_Stop.JPG

And for the picture posting technique, thanks to Evan (and a friend who pointed out to me that my ISP probably provided me with web space at no extra cost.)

Although friction seemed adequate to keep the indicator in place against gravity and vibration, I grooved the 5/16" indicator stud and put a plunge ball in the side of the Delrin block for security.

A few more pictures showing the details of the indicator socket can be seen at

http://www.tidewater.net/~helbigh/Carriage_Stop/

------------------

Well - I guess I don't quite have the picture routine right, but you can see them by clicking on the links.

------------------

Thumbs up

I really like the way that you mounted the dial indicator. Good Job.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

BillH Guest

Nice job, you know, really funny, been using my carriage stop, and to set it, I found I needed a 2nd carriage stop to hold the dial indicator on the other side of the carriage. Well, I've been using my magnetic indicator base for that.
    I just followed Evans example of his. Neat, 3 different people, 3 different designs, all doing the same thing.

Before I made my carriage stop I used to just use a c-clamp and some aluminum shims to prevent any damage to the ways. I occasionally do a short production run for my wife where it is necessary to stop the carriage in both directions as well as the cross slide. I use the carriage stop on the left end and a c-clamp on the right and a threading stop for the cross slide travel to cut to correct depth. Makes for a quick job.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Nice job, thanks for the pictures.