Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Shot Rifle Build

Default Single Shot Rifle Build

Hi:

I am thinking about building a single shot rifle and would like to hear from those who have built one.
    I would like to know witch model you built (Stevens 44/1/2 or Browning Hi-Wall ECT.) What was the hardest part to make?
    Did you buy many parts already made?
    If so where did you buy them?
    What set of plans did you use.
    What was the caliber and how well did it shot?
    Any and all info would very much appreciate.

Thanks,

Terryt
    Terryt

I built this Highwall type rifle from scratch, the only part I bought was a raw 1.27"x35" round barrel blank which was made into a tapered octagon. The receiver and most of the internals were machined from 4140HT and the stock and forearm is from wood that was salvaged from a large walnut tree that was about to be cut up for firewood when I happened upon it. It was chambered in 45/90 and was basically copied from a disassembled original but I made a few modifications along the way both to the external receiver and the internal parts that eliminates the external screws and sear pin ends from the receiver. With the heavy octagon barrel it shoots quite well but I still need better sights, thanks to a suggestion from someone else here I am working on that now.

There is an excellent plans set for the Highwall on E-bay for about $30, I have a buddy who bought these and they are very clear and complete. Actually I have found out they are copies (and very good copies at that!) of the original Winchester drawings which have long been in the public domain. The guy also has drawings for several other rifles and even some pistols, for instance he has drawings for the 1874 Sharps. I have no doubt these plans could be used to build an exact copy of the Highwall or any of the parts, I wish I had of known about them when I built my rifle.
    Last edited by radkins; 02-13-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Try posting in the general discussion section over at the ASSRA website. They will most likely be able to help you out. Frank

I have built a couple from casting kits, none from scratch as Radkins has. The critical part is the receiver with its mortice for the breech block. Once this is made properly, the balance is fitting the remaining parts to it.

The ASSRA forum has some good information, but not too much on scratch builds, most use existing actions. They do have plan sets available for several actions as well as tang sights. These are the same plans others sell for $30.00 up to $90.00 each. ASSRA asks $10.00. They need to be enlarged, but retain quality when done.

http://www.assra.com/Archivelibrary.htm

Frank DeHaas wrote a book, Mr. Single Shots's Rifle Plans, which is out of print, but can be found which details falling block actions that can be built in the home shop with minimal tooling. They are excellent actions when done. Another member here has built several and does quite well with them.

Finally, the sponsor of this board, Village Press has reprinted the articles run in their magazine by Walter Mueller. It is an excellent reference for the calculations for building an action and I would recommend it for that plus the detailing of methods involved even if you choose not to build that particular action. It is available from VP and other sources.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947...walter-mueller
    Jim H.

For a beginner http://www.brownells.com/books-video...prod25750.aspx

These can be trying if you cannot reason. They are relatively easy and the plans were intended for a person with minimum shop tools to be able to make. One of the Chicopee versions would be a good start of your skill development. I have made a few and there are pictures in my posts. All have been very accurate.
    Bob

I have built several Stevens 44 and 1/2 and a couple Winchester highwalls from barstock.. The Highwall is the tougher build by far but I like it better..Finishing another highwall now and working on a Stevens 44 1/2 to complete and use by late spring...

Hi

Beautiful rifle.

Thank you for the info.

Terryt
    Terryt

You guys are killing me.
    I rebarreled an 1885 high wall in September, and the extractor relief cut was about all the project I could handle.
    If corporal punishment for women and children is domestic violence, then gun control is domestic spying.

I probably get asked about the breech block mortise difficulty more than anything else about my rifle but honestly I think the extractor/extractor relief and getting it right was one of the more difficult tasks, fitting that thing to fit snugly without snagging and to reach full travel at the same time the lever is open fully is trickier than it sounds. Mine fits snugly and works properly but it was a real head scratcher getting it right.

Alphawolf45,
    Where did you get the dimensions to build your 44 & 1/2? I've wanted to build one for a long time. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Jim