Thread: Katou's Toe Jack Finished

Default Katou's Toe Jack Finished

Hello all, I've been working away in my shop building a toe jack. I used one from a local chap (thanks MacGyver!!) who was nice enough to let me borrow his. I used it to lift the machine, remove the skid, drop it down, put it on pipes, rotate it, and then move it 6 ft. I was absolutely amazed at how easily this was all done by my on my own. Now I see it as an essential piece of machine-shop equipment. Alas, he needed it back for a move of his own, which I could hardly begrudge.

I weighed out the time-cost of making one, and decided to give it a go. I do not have a photobucket acc't yet, so I made a video and posted it to Youtube.

The jack includes a few improvements (discussed in the video as well):
    -traveling element does not rely on the ram to control motion - it has guides to keep it moving linearly
    -toe has extra length for those times when you *really* can't get a crowbar under something
    -return springs
    -universal joint on release valve so that the valve can be turned easily, and at nearly any angle
    -universal joint also allows adding longer rod to get operator further from machine during tricky operations

Check it out if you have a few minutes. The actual operation of the jack is in the last minute or so. I've never made a video or posted one before, so be kind. That said, I am open to suggestions to improve my documentary style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHD_NKQ4Cg

Or search on "katou toe jack" and it should come up.

Katou

Nice build, nice video!!!!

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Tried leaving a remark on your build but got lost in cyber land, my suggestion was to put a U-bolt around the jack and bolting thru the uprights on the front this will keep the piston rod from leaning to the front.