Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which way angular contact bearings in pillar drill.

Hi dr pepper

Found this on line this will link to a PDF file giving more detail on the Purchase of a Manual for your drill press

See Item 3 on the list COPIES OF MACHINE MANUALS

http://www.search-document.com/pdf/1...ilt-table.html

This is totally against what we are trying to do on this forum FREE information and and Ideas shared for the benefit of all.

However some may find it a useful site to visit.

Personal Note!! For spindle bearings is to use deep groove sealed bearings as found in lots of makes and models of Drill Press.

Eric
    Last edited by velocette; 04-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.

What prevents the spindle from falling out of the quill sleeve, other than friction between adjoining parts? Have you considered that the angular contact bearings and their strange arrangement may not be original?

Phil

Have you seen this thread, particularly post #11 - edit: not #11 but 11 Oct 2012, 20:59

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/f...t64132-15.html

Phil
    Last edited by philbur; 04-12-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Based on the drawing in the link in the previous post it would seem that with your bearing arrangement the spindle would be supported on the retaining collar at the top of the spindle when not under load and this could be the noise you have. It seems from the sketch that the bearings should be opposing so that the spindle sits in the top bearing when rotating but not under load from drilling. However it would seem strange that both yours and the posters spindles both have the top bearing the wrong way up?

Phil

Thanks for that.
    serves me right for not being thorough, the collar shown on the drawing in the link was not attached to my quill, upon inspection its stuck to the bottom of the drive pulley assy still attached to the drill, obviously come loose and remained there.
    And it looks like my upper bearing is the wrong way round.
    The bearings are deffo shot, the lower one wasnt fitted proper, the shaft is scraped on one side, as though they fitted the bearing on an angle, and the inner race is galled on one side.
    The upper bearing is shot too, but that is probably because the collar hasnt been preloading it.
    Thanks for your help chaps, I can now carry on with the refurb, allthough it now looks like I'll be using a QJ bearing in the bottom and a deep groove at the top but thats going to be an improvement anyways, as the only way of getting preload would be to squeeze the collar onto the quill, not a reliable method, still I spose this is the cheapest range drill.
    Last edited by dr pepper; 04-12-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.

Because you can split an AC bearing but not a Deep Groove you may find assembly is simpler with an AC on the top as well.

Phil

My supplier who has been reliable in the past says seperating a ac isnt good for them, maybe it depends on manufacturer, I've used skf or timken whenever possible.

My mistake, you are correct about standard AC bearings:

SKF says:
    Single row angular contact ball bearings ....... The bearings are non-separable.

Four-point contact ball bearings ....... The bearings are separable

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dr pepper View Post
    My supplier who has been reliable in the past says seperating a ac isnt good for them, maybe it depends on manufacturer, I've used skf or timken whenever possible.

So they were telling me the truth.

I'm still waiting to see if I can get a QJ freebie.

I wouldnt want to buy a QJ, 70 notes!

Just in case anyones interested this is the csv of a QJ bearing, the inner race as mentioned has 2 sections, its put together this way so that the inner race has more contact with the balls, the contact angle covering right around the balls giving the bearing a good amount of thrust capability (please no silly jokes):

Last edited by dr pepper; 04-16-2013 at 04:15 AM.