Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you machine today?

Didn't machine anything today, BUT I went to the NAMES show and got my annual dose of humble pie. Gives me something to live up to! Bob.

Corrected my sawblade error discussed at length in a previous thread. I opened the sawblade's arbor to 2", and then machined a matching step in a spacer, with the step being 1/2 the thickness of the blade deep. Hit it dead on - no rattle. (This is not for a powered operation.)

I made a vintage looking throttle arm for the carburetor of one of my odd-ball collectible antique engines out of 6061 aluminum and an 8-32 socket head capscrew.

I've already got a cut knurler partially completed. (the McGiver version) These photos are of the prototype.

Last edited by saltmine; 04-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Bob, Tony, Saltmine: You know the rules. No piccie, no happeny.

Me? I mostly moped around all day but finally remembered that I'd promised boss-dude at work I'd make another plastic plug to go in a certain high end British luxury vehicle's intake manifold (can't mention the name of course.) Some of the buggers will spit the blanking plug out of the end of the manifold under high boost making them run (ahem) a bit lean. Of course you can't get the plug without buying the whole manifold and they're on inter-galactic back-order. I made a couple out of acetal and made them a bit longer with a larger dia. flange with a hole in it so they can be safety-wired in place. Man, I love acetal. It makes me look like I have REAL machines.

I have to say this is a temporary thing and the manufacturer will come up with a fix pretty quick.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Good ideeor puttin it on a leash --- just carry a fiber mallet in the glovebox to pound her back in after she shoots craps again...

Hi,

Sadly no pictures. The guys broke the blade on a windshield glass saw at an accident last night. I needed to drill out a stripped screw, (doesn't everyone own left handed drills?), in a Glas-Master extrication glass saw. And then make a new dog-pointed screw, (5/16"NC), to hold another blade in the handle. I also made a new replacement spacer block for it. I made it fit a bit better than the original.

dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Ok, here's a project I've been working on on Tuesday afternoons (I have some time then). It is an interpretation of a copy that was actually shown in a thread here on HSM a while back. This was the first afternoons work. I'm actually a little further along than this photo shows but haven't taken a updated pic. I'll try to get another up soon. Oh by the way, it is a base for a steadicam for those who don't look at the link.

Steadicam project baseplate by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Bob

Dr Stan Guest

Drove myself crazy trying to correct an error in the mounting of the gear rack for the Z axis on my lathe DRO. For the life of me I could not figure out why the accuracy on the Z axis was crap and the Y axis was dead on. So this AM I started looking and taking measurements of how I had mounted the gear rack & encoder. Found one problem and corrected it, but for the life of me I just could not get the rack parallel with the back of the bed. Every time I made a measurement and calculated what should have been a dead on adjustment it still was not parallel.

I finally discovered the pick up assembly that contains the spur gear is not parallel with the mounting surface of the encoder box! It is about .050" out in 4". That certainly did not help on a gear rack that's about 4' long.

Back to the drawing board to include a jack screw to adjust the encoder box mounting plate and then some bench time with gage blocks getting the rack parallel with the plate that mounts to the back of the carriage. Now that is taken care of maybe I can actually get it mounted and functioning tomorrow!

going into ae86? pix?

I'll get right on it.
    No good deed goes unpunished.