Page 4 of 158 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you machine today?

Made most of the parts to mount a toolholder on my buddies lathe so he can get running.

Hmph..... I made ONE gear....... not 40 of 'em.

of course, I made it TWICE......... first time I was told it needed to be one pitch, then later I found out it actually needed to be a different pitch.

Aside from that, freeing up the stuck motor on lawnmower #1 that the neighbor somehow got to sieze up. It now turns again, but I need to look at the oiling situation,.

John:
    do you slice off a whole bunch of blanks and then gnash teeth? Or do you gnash the teeth over a much longer length and then slice widths off? The number you gave implies the former...can it be done the latter way as well?

You can buy gear stock for cutting your own gears out of so I know it can be done that way.
    http://www.grobinc.com/coldrolled/st...ng_pulleys.htm

May be harder for a home shop to do it this way but I am sure its possible.

Jess

That's a lot of gnashed teeth- Alistairs bill is going to be expensive

JS...

Assuming you do the stick of gears and cut off, how do you put in the hole.... soft jaws?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess13 View Post
    You can buy gear stock for cutting your own gears out of so I know it can be done that way.

Jess
    Yep, I have a stick of pinion stock that I have not yet needed.

Not sure how I would do the job, if and when I need to make some pinions...... the stock has the teeth, but no hole. The usual system (one by one) is to have the hole, and then put in the teeth.

Doing the teeth first and the hole second involves holding the gear, which is done best in a gear chuck, but failing that, in soft jaws bored for the outer diameter. Naturally, I have neither a gear chuck, nor a chuck that takes soft jaws.... no chucks with 2 piece jaws at all.

Now that I think of it, I may have a chuck with jaws that I had to cut the banged-up tops off of. I could maybe mill them with a slot to take a key, drill and tap, then make top jaws.... that would be a good idea, thanks for suggesting it.

I didn't machine anything today but I did make a 40' extension cord for my MIG welder as I have to try to remove a 1" nipple from my bathtub faucet feed so I can replace it with a brass unit the needed length. This is a side project as a consequence of installing tiles around the b-tub. After 50 years the nipple is stuck fast. Vise grips and a split coupling failed miserable and vise grips directly on the nipple have nearly squeezed it flat. Tomorrow I'll weld a length of square rod inside the nipple and hope the combination of leverage and welding heat will break it loose. Next plan is to break away some of the new tiles to get to the basitid. Hell, I might take pictures

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Brilliant.
    Why can't more tailstock be built this way,
    The vendor using the modern version can claim a longer distance between centers. I'd rather have more quill movement since most of what I do is within 12" of the chuck.

Finished the new quill...
    It has the same travel as the old (4 inches or so), but now with it "hanging out" four inches farther its gets the "extra reach" over the cross-slide which is where the problem was before. The glass scale soaks up about 3", which is not a big deal drilling/reaming/taping cause i just move the carriage forward out of the way, but if you go to use a live center you have to extended the quill out 3" to make up for the DRO reader and with a 1-1/4 dia quill out that far its not too rigid.

Anyway... heres the end result... ended up turning down the end alittle for more clearance for the tool post and added the angle to make it look alittle more "slick" while still keeping it beefy. If i ever get a tool post grinder, i will make another one, but as it sits now it seams to work pretty good... guess i'll find out as time goes by.

_

Local shop brought a car brake rod to me today. I cut it in half, threaded one side, and made up a new "other side" with a hole drilled in one end and threaded to make the rod adjustable. They were having problems with the brakes only engaging an inch from the floor with a new style master cylinder in a old car. Quick easy job.
    Andy