Page 156 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1571

Thread: What did you machine today?

Ran one dry this morning for video.

Fingercam programming on a Bridgeport conversational control, I have no idea why it moves the way that it does, it is a canned groove cycle. Whoever wrote the original software thought that it was a good idea (-:

Ran about 60 of them this morning and the machine is holding +- .001" on the diameters, having no tool changes helps even with an Aloris toolpost, tool changes always add some error.

Gang tooling is common on CNC lathes that make only short parts, no tool changes is a plus even on a machine with a turret. I began making the gang tool holder to eliminate 5 tool changes per part during the first operation, this is very tedius and slow. The job went from 512 parts to 258 parts so I never finished it. Have been trying to talk my employer into buying a dedicated gang tool lathe for the thousands of short parts that we make per year, so far no luck.

Last edited by Bented; 09-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Made a new choke pull for my old tractor after the plastic one stripped off in my hand last week. After I turned, drilled and threaded it I decided to taper it like the original then quickly discovered that I had no good way to hold the tapered end so I could work on the other end. I was able to grab the large end in my chuck enough to give it light face. The tractor doesn't care but does anyone know a trick for holding a tapered piece in the lathe? In retrospect, I probably should have left the threaded end straight and I might make another that way just for asthetics.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post

Gang tooling is common on CNC lathes that make only short parts, no tool changes is a plus even on a machine with a turret. I began making the gang tool holder to eliminate 5 tool changes per part during the first operation, this is very tedius and slow. The job went from 512 parts to 258 parts so I never finished it. Have been trying to talk my employer into buying a dedicated gang tool lathe for the thousands of short parts that we make per year, so far no luck.
    We had a customer short an order once because the rejection rate we delivered was much lower than they allowed for,our own worst enemy lol.

I've got the same issues where I work,lots of short,small diameter parts that end up getting ran on a Hardinge 2nd op lathe.I have a Rivett turret lathe sitting gathering dust,I want to build a CNC x-y table to mount to the ways just to make life easier.

Nice job on the parts,any idea what they are for?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
    Made a new choke pull for my old tractor after the plastic one stripped off in my hand last week. After I turned, drilled and threaded it I decided to taper it like the original then quickly discovered that I had no good way to hold the tapered end so I could work on the other end. I was able to grab the large end in my chuck enough to give it light face. The tractor doesn't care but does anyone know a trick for holding a tapered piece in the lathe? In retrospect, I probably should have left the threaded end straight and I might make another that way just for asthetics.

Tom
    Nice knob. For that piece you could have made a short stub straight shaft with a thread sticking out that you can thread your knob onto to face. I've got a couple short chunks of steel in my box at work with threads from 4-40-1/2-13, for holding stuff like that. Ran into that situation a bunch of years ago with a hard to hold piece so I made up a bunch of them with different size threads in case I needed them again. Haven't used them since lol.

On mine I just drilled and taped holes in the ends, and threaded in cut offs of all thread/cap screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Nice knob. For that piece you could have made a short stub straight shaft with a thread sticking out that you can thread your knob onto to face. I've got a couple short chunks of steel in my box at work with threads from 4-40-1/2-13, for holding stuff like that. Ran into that situation a bunch of years ago with a hard to hold piece so I made up a bunch of them with different size threads in case I needed them again. Haven't used them since lol.

On mine I just drilled and taped holes in the ends, and threaded in cut offs of all thread/cap screws.
    I will give that a try. Thanks!
    Tom

flathead4,

It's not much of a trick, but you could have set the topslide to the taper you wanted as the first step, and made an internally tapered split bushing .

There's nothing about the external machining of the knob that requires the re-setting of the topslide before cutting the taper on the shaft of the knob.

EDIT: Dan Dubeau's suggestion is more practical. I have a can full of threaded mandrels of various sizes and shapes. Unlike Dan's case though, these do get used. I can usually find one that will do the job as is, or can be easily modified. If not, I make another one and add it to the collection.
    Last edited by cameron; 09-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post

Nice job on the parts,any idea what they are for?
    Not a clue

Not told
    Don't need to know
    No description on the drawing

Stainless sailboat rigging link 3/4" x 1-5/8" x 5". 1" hole, 5/8" pin.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Very nice work. How big a boat does that go on?

R--thanks. That went on a 65' aluminum boat named Maiden Factor.

https://www.themaidenfactor.org/
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander