Page 153 of 155 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1544

Thread: What did you machine today?

That looks real nice Dan. Did you harden the insert seat? I left my 5/8" HSS toolbit bar at 12" , doesn't hurt to be too long.

What did I machine today? Not a darn thing. I spent the day chasing materials and redesigning stuff I thought was already designed.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
    That looks real nice Dan. Did you harden the insert seat? I left my 5/8" HSS toolbit bar at 12" , doesn't hurt to be too long.
    Thanks, no, I just left it unhardened. It probably won't seen enough hard use to ever be an issue.

That looks like an ultrasonic horn! Brings back memories of ultrasonic levitation 25+ years ago!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well, it's nicely made, I'll give it that. How did you go about the radius between the major and minor diameters? Freehand or a large form tool?

1998 vintage Romi/Bridgeport CNC lathe
    There were 60 parts, using a forming tool or radius cutting attachment would have taken roughly FAR to long, as it is it took 26 hours or so. This lathe has no tool changer.

They look like this.

Iíve lately been helping friends with QC tool blocks. I was looking at my extras and noticed that I only had a couple of extra ones. So I grabbed some material out of my bin and been working on some extra tool blocks. I need to make a couple adjusters just didnít have enough I had made up. Yes I could bought them but thatís no fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was a continuation of the last month or so. We continued making more of the various gears and splines for a customer. Nothing really special, there. What makes it exciting for us, is that we are continuing to make and use our own Gear Shaper Cutters to do so. So far, these are the coarsest Pitch yet. But we have a job to do next week that will require making a cutter that is even coarser, so I am looking forward to making that one and seeing how it performs. We also started manufacturing the 13" and 16" SouthBend Twin Gear Sets this week. But specifically, today I finally got around to organizing and making the storage for all the change gears for the Fellows. That made me happy.

You don't see a lot of classic gear shapers left in the US! That's awesome. It sounds like your are trying to reproduce hard to find gears for old lathes? I'd wager that you could charge a bunch of money for that service and people would be happy to pay it. That is a well needed service in the home machinist community.

I whipped up these quick washers today to run an 8" scotchbrite wheel. Everything was going great until I got to drilling. Some other lathe user must have knocked the tailstock out of whack, nothing about my usual drilling arrangement seemed right. The holes were 2-3 thou larger than I wanted but it doesn't matter. I didn't have time to investigate, I'll have to do that later. The wheel works great though.

Last edited by The Metal Butcher; 08-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.

I love those wheels, they work great. Nice job.

Today I finished the stubby (for loading purposes) cat-40 internal tapered mandrels to hold extrusions for a 4th axis production production job I'm getting ready to run. The inverted steel pyramid in the middle spreads out both the diameter and the little protrusions to lock onto the part not only axially, but radially also (the part is a keyhole type shape). The set screw on the side locks it onto the spindle drive dog as the rotational datum. I also made a plug for the tailstock end with a 60* center on the other side. Hopefully with 3 mandrels in rotation I can get speedy part changeovers. I've got 3 stations (face/bore both ends on another fixture/angle plate) to swap with every button push, and target time is 30 minutes/finished part. Gonna be close..... I hate production stuff.

They mount into the cat-40 spindle nose I made for the Haas rotary table. Had to make the t nuts too.

Which was machined with another boring bar that I made....

Seemed like I had to make everything to get to this point in the process....

Finally ready to machine some parts on Monday (after I program them this weekend). Never used a 4th axis before. Bit of a challenge so far figuring out how to program it with our software (edgecam) but I figured out some workarounds today that will at least makes some chips until I can rework the post processor, and use the program the "proper" way. I really hate manually editing code for mill work. I finger cam all my lathe programs but when it comes to the mill I want it to come out of CAM ready for the green button especially for longer running production stuff.

Looks great Zahnrad. Pretty great feeling when you can make whatever tooling you need, to make whatever it is you need to make lol. Albeit it a pain in the ass sometimes when you HAVE to.
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 08-15-2019 at 08:41 PM.