Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot question about Evaporust

Default ot question about Evaporust

My Niece gave me this Craftsman tool kit. It had been left in an open sided carport since her step father passed 3 years ago. The box was partially filled with rainwater and the tools were rusted in degrees from totally unrecoverable, to not too bad. I dumped all the sockets in a container and poured in enough Evaporust to cover them. The plastic carying case had rust in several recesses which I painted with a liberal coat of the Evaporust. After soaking for a day and a half, the sockets came out looking pretty good, but the rust in the plastic case was not fazed. What are your thoughts on how to clean the rust off the case?

“I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Try CLR. If you don't have any on hand, first try vinegar with a drop of dishsoap.

Put it in dishwasher?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

"Painting" on a coat of Evaporust or anything else is not likely to be very effective. There just isnt enough of the active chemical compared to the rust. The small amount of rust remover will be spent before the rust is. You could repeat the painting many times, or dunk the case.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Use a soft sponge or brush with soap and water to clean the plastic.

Scrub it, rinse.

Either fill the recess with Evaporust, or clean it with some phosphoric acid or toilet cleaner with the same.

Vinegar might do the trick too.

Rust on a blow-molded case? Choice of acid followed by pressure washing. Vinegar and salt or citric acid, perhaps.

Ok, I had a similar problem. I picked up some comparator parts that were stored in an acid bay. There were rust stains all over the painted surfaces. Nightmare material.

My dad suggested I try this stuff: Whink https://www.amazon.com/Whink-1081-12...C9QBYKYT9WD145

It worked like magic, removing the rust and did not attack the painted surfaces. I applied and scrubbed using Q-Tips and cotton rags and then rinsed with Isopryl. In your case you could just rinse with water. Try on an inconspicuous section first to be sure it doesn't attack the plastic. Good Luck.

Edit. Be sure to use proper PPE as it is acid based.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by rjs44032; 09-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    Ok, I had a similar problem. I picked up some comparator parts that were stored in an acid bay. There were rust stains all over the painted surfaces. Nightmare material.

My dad suggested I try this stuff: Whink https://www.amazon.com/Whink-1081-12...C9QBYKYT9WD145

It worked like magic, removing the rust and did not attack the painted surfaces. I applied and scrubbed using Q-Tips and cotton rags and then rinsed with Isopryl. In your case you could just rinse with water. Try on an inconspicuous section first to be sure it doesn't attack the plastic. Good Luck.

Edit. Be sure to use proper PPE as it is acid based.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Nice stuff, contains hydrogen flouride, can kill you. Lots of safer products out there. Always check the SD info and protect yourself.