Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I may design an i.c. engine---

Here is a link to all the poop about the Silver Angel governor. Its all from a post I started back in 2008.
    http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....or-plans-2899/

There is a way to make that mechanism adjustable while in motion. I've seen it somewhere, just can't remember where. Diagram 161 in your mechanism book shows some pieces added but the detail is not very good.
    Gene

topct--I've got it figured out. The video you posted gave me a flash of inspiration.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but its been an interesting way to spend fathers day!!!

Brian,
    Our Star engine, by Debolt Machine, uses a vertical flyball governor. See: http://www.deboltmachine.com/id3.html, scroll down to the pic of the governor. The little knurled nut in the foreground is the speed adjustment, and it can be changed while the engine is running.

FWIW: our Debolt engines don't really need water cooling, and they run literally all day long. When they're in the "miss cycle", they're huffing and puffing air in and out through the muffler, which keeps them "cool enough". This past w/e, I had the Olds (http://www.deboltmachine.com/id2.html) belted to the sawmill, and sawing pretty steadily. The brass cover over the head got too hot to keep your hand on, but I'm not sure that was a lot worse than usual, and wasn't any hotter than a working engine would be, even with water cooling.

I sawed a PILE of cants on my sawmill, each one requiring at least a half-dozen cuts, taking nearly 2 minutes/cut. The engine goes from about 14 miss cycles with no belt on the pulley, to 8 while sawing. Fuel consumption increases accordingly. :-(

Time to open up the bore of the cylinder to about 1.5 inches to give working room for valves.

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but its been an interesting way to spend fathers day!!!
    You might want to animate that drawing - it looks like the pushrod is going to bust out the cylinder base. I also had a nice FD! Even heard from one of the kids

J.R.--That's why the sparkplug is offset towards the top of the cylinder. ----To give room for the valves below it.

Jim Dunmyer---Thank you!!! That may just be the cats meow!!---Brian

Well, it looks like this is going to be an all ball bearing show. I called Canadian Bearings today, and a 3/8" i.d. ball bearing is only $4.98, so I ordered 3 of them, one for the big end of the con rod and two for the crankshaft bearings.. The only bushing will be in the small end of the con rod, and MAYBE (I'm not sure yet) in the governor stem-post.