Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt power tools worth the cost

Default Dewalt power tools worth the cost

While shopping for a "Laminate Router" I noticed the 20 Volt, Li batteries, compact cordless drills. Never noticed them before but I found them very attractive because of there compact size. I have been using Dewalt 12 volt and 14 volt cordless drills for over 13 years. They are used almost every day and have served me well. Several battery packs have had the cells replaced at "Batteries Plus".

I looked at the compact Black & Decker 20 volt KD 120 CBFR for around $65. I thought for $65 how could I go wrong.

Then I looked at compact Porter Cable, 20 volt, PCCK600LB, 1/2" drive, $149

Finally the compact Dewalt DCD790D2 for $219.

I have had good service from my Dewalt cordless drills and feel a certain loyalty to them. For a tool that will probably be used everyday is the Dewalt worth the addtitional costs?

Other 20 Volt Li battery cordless drill recommendations? Unfortunately they are all made in China these days.

Thanks,
    Jim
    So much to learn, so little time

I believe that many of the DeWalt battery-powered tools are upgradeable to the Li-ion batteries. Need the batteries themselves & a compatible charger. Nope, haven't done it yet; my NiCads are still going strong but they are still infants - only 8 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    Unfortunately they are all made in China these days.
    Almost all, but not quite. You can still buy Bosch tools that are made in Switzerland if you go to one of the on-line stores like CPO, Tool King, etc or to an industrial distributor. Metabo and Fien are made in Germany.

If you only look at the big box stores all you'll find is the consumer grade tool made for the weekend warriors.

Its not as easy to find the well made tools and yes they will cost more, sometimes much more. However, in the long run they will cost less to own and are repairable if necessary.
    "I have come to a resolution myself as I hope every good citizen will, never again to purchase any article of foreign manufacture which can be had of American make, be the difference of price what it may."

Thomas Jefferson 1815

Lithium batteries are lighter, but they wear out even while sitting on a shelf unused.

Their lifespan isn't very long. Also, they don't like heat. Ideal storage is in a fridge at 40-50% charge. if you store them in a hot garage or vehicle, they will wear out faster.

They aren't the best choice for everyone.

If you decide to buy any of the new stuff, do your research carefully. The best drill may not come from the same company as the best impact driver, and their battery packs won't be compatible.

Btw, if you haven't used one of the impact screw guns, you're missing out. It's surprising how well the impact action helps when driving screws into wood.

Since all my tools get a larger than normal workout, I only buy Milwaukee cordless tools. Have had others (Bosh, Dewalt etc) but they just dont hold up to the constant use.

I have also used Dewalts for for many years both at home and on the job and I have to say their performance and durability is excellent. I recently wanted to upgrade from my 10 yr old Dewalt 14.4 drill and impact driver. I looked at the 20v Li-ion Dewalts - they are actually 18v but Dewalt wanted to separate the new style from their still successful 18v Ni-cad line - and the Ridgid 18v Li-ion drill - driver set. I decided on the Ridgids based mostly on the life time guarantee they offer on the tools and the batteries. Since the battery life is supposedly shorter on the Li-ions I didn't want to have to purchase another set 2-5 years (depending on how you talk to, and how you use them) down the line. After 9 months of almost daily use I have to say I'm pleased with the purchase, the drill and driver perform as well as any others I have used, the quality of the tools is on par with Dewalt. The set I purchased was on sale at Home Depot for $189. It came with a drill, an impact driver, 2 - 2.0a batteries and a quick charger (30 min). There is a 3.0a battery set, but the price is almost double.

Stu

Dewalt and Porter Cable are both owned by Black and Decker. I prefer Bosch and Milwaukee tools myself, but Milwaukee is now owned by the parent company of Rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    Dewalt and Porter Cable are both owned by Black and Decker. I prefer Bosch and Milwaukee tools myself, but Milwaukee is now owned by the parent company of Rigid.
    With the exception of the Bosch, all these are Chinese. Even with the Bosch one has to be careful. If you buy the consumer grade versions in the big box stores they come from Malaysia instead of Germany or Switzerland.
    "I have come to a resolution myself as I hope every good citizen will, never again to purchase any article of foreign manufacture which can be had of American make, be the difference of price what it may."

Thomas Jefferson 1815

I'll wait. Too many stories of Li batteries exploding and causing fires during a charge or heavy load.

Just a little drift-- After going through two HF friction saws in 15 years, I bought the cast table Milwaukee brand at Northern Tools with a 20% off coupon. Man, the power difference was about double or more of the HF version. Price wise, it better last 20+ years but the power is worth it. Milwaukee has different price level versions too so research the models not just the brand.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 07-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Answer to your question IMHO (NO ) not worth the extra moneyfor doing one off job, but hey if you wish to use it again and again even though not everyday or every week then I would buy a good one. Maybe the porter cable which is made as is the Dewalt by Black and Decker. I would normally advise (other than battery tools) to buy used. I bought recently a nice makita corded laminate trimmer for around $30 nice used condition but not beat upon.I wish you well the cabled tools should you decide to buy used are also a very good choice.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease