Thread: 100 teeth

Post 100 teeth

I used the setup of change gears as recommended by Paul A. and the rope around the chuck as suggested by Wierd. I hung a small anvil on it to take up the slack in the gear train. It all worked well. It took hours, basically operating the lathe as a hand powered shaper with an acme form tool turned sideways in the tool post. I decided to make a 100 tooth "gear" for future indexing purposes. Although the change gear combo works to produce 100 divisions, it is difficult dealing with the lost motion. I now have a 100 tooth item that I can use directly on the spindle mandrel for indexing, that eliminates having to deal with lost motion. Thanks guys.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Great, I'm glad it worked. Many other dividions are possible in the same manner with standard change gears. I am working on
    chart. The main values that are absent are the prime numbers that are not represented in those gears and multiples of them. When it's done, I'll see if I can post it somewhere.

Paul A.

Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Paul,

I'll be happy to host it on my server. I think I'm going to have to set up a South Bend specific page, maybe do a little digging through the archives for tidbits. I have the right to post anything of mine and with permission from others will post whatever seems appropriate. This is not something I will be doing right away, summer offers too many other jobs to do. It would be a good project for next fall.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Good deal,sounds real tedious thou,say you need a milling spindle for that lathe Oh boy,one more project
    I just need one more tool,just one!