Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT -- Legal Fun! Fake Degree

Default OT -- Legal Fun! Fake Degree

So there is a bit of a dust up at work, due to the growth the company is seeing they hired a part-time HR manager to help with paperwork.

During a bit of downtime, she took it upon herself to background check existing workers. Turns out one of the higher-ranked engineers attended... Cantabury University. Not the real-deal down in Christchurch mind you.

I did some looking of my own apparently CU is a diploma-mill plain and simple.

What's causing the dustup is apparently the degree is legitimate in some way -- it's a real verifiable "degree" but without any actual school or coursework behind it. While it is know that it is bogus, at the same time he did nothing wrong by presenting this degree.

I say apparently. Part-Time HR person can't find a way to slice this so they can get rid of him without resorting to At Will employment. The man is a brilliant engineer in his own right, he's done quite a bit of good for the company and everyone likes him. Part-Time HR insists THIS IS WRONG AND CANNOT STAND. The ultimate decision comes from the owner early next week.

So any legal sorts out there who know NY law? I can't seem to find a "banned degree/illegal university" listing for NY State like I can for some states... while other states have ruled that a diploma-mill diploma is acceptable.

Note! I am not looking for a lawyer and and official answer! Just something more substantial than Google and breakroom gossip.

All a degree is good for, is to help the person get a first job.

I heard just last year of an Asian surgeon who did/assisted in complicated operations and was nothing more than a theatre technician his bragging finally made the management suspicious as seems if he had shut his mouth he would have been there yet.WOW it doesn't bear thinking about does it? Alistair
    p.s heres another if you type in fake surgeon into google the net ios swamped with them.GOOD GOD

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-s...rested/984023/
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 08-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

"payed for" degree's are pretty easy to come by, and as stated they are really only good to get you in the door. Once there you either make it or break it. Not sure about the "legal aspect" of it, but if I were the owner I could care less, as its the guys performance thats really the important thing. I have known many an Engineer that has got his title from "outside" North America, and some of them can barely tie their shoe laces. sounds to me like the HR girl is just trying to make a name for herself by treading on the backs of others ... typical lol

HR girl may be pissed because she spent tens of thousands more on an "accredited program", got a degree and isn't making as much as this guy that paid for a diploma. Frankly the educational system is a pile of junk these days. I know people with masters degrees in my field and I walk all over them in meetings. Best coworker I have didn't even graduate high school. Nope, not stupid either, was just bored out of his mind in high school. Nothing there to engage his talents.

Agree with Stern. He apparently does good work for the company. As long as he is not holding himself out to be a "Registered Engineer," (that would get him in trouble with the NY authorities,) he is free to work. The boss, hopefully, will realize that "part-time HR people" are ten-a-penny and adjust his manpower, (personpower?1,) accordingly.
    I know several engineers, registered as such, in different Provinces, who trained in England back when, at least for civil engineering they apprenticed or articled with a large engineering firm. It was the only route at the time, and they certainly dont have a degree, but they sure are excellent engineers!
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Where did the people that built Fukushima get there degrees?
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by topct View Post
    Where did the people that built Fukushima get there degrees?
    Probably from the same schools where the Three Mile Island engineers/designers got theirs.

I doubt the doctor I fired was bright enough to get a fake degree

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
    I heard just last year of an Asian surgeon who did/assisted in complicated operations and was nothing more than a theatre technician his bragging finally made the management suspicious as seems if he had shut his mouth he would have been there yet.WOW it doesn't bear thinking about does it? Alistair
    p.s heres another if you type in fake surgeon into google the net ios swamped with them.GOOD GOD

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-s...rested/984023/
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

I'd be with Duffy and Stern, if this fellow doesn't hold himself out to be a professional engineer and this is his only instance of stretching the truth. If he does excellent work and works well with most everyone, it would be a shame to lose him.

I knew a terrific older (when I met her) gal who started as a young cashier at a New York City neighborhood bank and rose to a minor management position. She put an AA degree on her application to get her foot in the door. Excellent work, well liked, ten years or more of "outstanding" job reviews before they discovered the AA degree was bogus. In Gwen's case, the boss said they'd pay for night school over the next few years so she could get that AA degree. That seemed to work out for everyone.