Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT I know we have some outboard motor guys here, any knowledge of a west bend?

I know nothing about outboard motors but let me point you to Doug Penn of Bernardston MA. I doubt there is anything he DOESN'T know about the subject.

http://neme-s.org/Doug_Penn_July_2013/doug_penn.htm

Errol Groff

Quote Originally Posted by elginrunner View Post
    Check things out here. A lot of good folks and information to share.

http://aomci.org/

Thanks for the link. I am surprised how hard it is to find even a pic of one. I thought everything was on the internet, I know because I read about it on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazld View Post
    Probably means oil mixed with the gas...
    Well I suppose there is that too.
    Andy

I found some stuff out.

Apparently some one at some time adapted a different motor to the outboard leg. Now when I look over this conversion it looks totally like a factory mated motor. So I am not sure if a kit was offered for this conversion or if some one had a machine shop make up the adapters.

The motor is of the 1950's west bend aluminum co. mainly used in go carts but also used on chain saws, some outboards, and I am sure other things. They produced lots of these engines and they were used much like briggs and straton now days (for everything).

Now the lower section is apparently from a 1937 water witch 2.75hp/2.5hp (HP details are a bit fussy yet) outboard. After finding pictures of these motors I would really like to find the original and put it back to the way it should be. They were very nice looking outboards!

Bunch of pics of the original water witch motor here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/bredlo/...436005/detail/
    Last edited by vpt; 08-30-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Andy

I seem to recall that the West Bend name was on some kitchenware or appliances. My dad once had an outboard motor built by The American Pressure Cooker Company. I think the brand was Martin.
    Don Young

Somewhere in my barn I think I have the remains of a West Bend brush cutter which used a motor of the same appearance. I can't remember much about it, except that it stopped working, was pretty heavy, and I don't recall if it still has a carburetor. It was a pretty neat brush cutter, with a sickle bar attachment one could put in place of the rotary blade. I kept hoping I could get it going to cut lake weeds, but it packed up quite completely.

I may have some tune-up information on it in an old book, will try to check tonight.

Yes, west bend apparently made all sorts of household "things" as well as the motor stuff.
    Andy

Interesting post about the West Bend,, And Errol Groff's posting is Great, thanks again Errol.

I agree, that is quite the page of stuff there! lots of nice motors to look at and learn about.
    Andy

Went and bought a 59 Clinton J-9 yesterday. I only bought it because it was $30. I have a feeling once I started this may not end for awhile. I would like to stick to pre 1950 outboards and only take in very cheap or free others.

Is it ok to store these types of engines (drained of fuel obviously) in the basement?
    Andy

Drain the gas, yes, just oil them up real good. And as you walk by them, give them a loving little twist of the flywheel. Most that you will find will never run again. Ignore the words "all it needs", and collect the hell out of them.
    Gene