Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone in Yahoo groups and having problems with the "new yahoo"?

Why are you surprised? Computer geeks are the worst tyrants in the whole world. The only good ideas are their ideas and you will do it their way.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I look at these groups on the web, no daily digest, no emails.
    Just log on and look but I am not seeing anything different ?

Same applies for the groups I 'own' ?

What am I doing right ? :-)

Just went into edit membership and nothing has changed, can accept leave group from the original box, bottom right.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Quote Originally Posted by DFMiller View Post
    The fact they did not inform the "owners" of the forums either speaks volumes of what they think of their users.
    THAT is easily explainable......

Yahoo allowed those groups way back when they were new and cool. The groups were an enhancement that drew in people.

Now, those &^%$! things are a drain on resources that Yahoo probably wishes would just go away. I expect they lose money on the groups, and assigned their worst people to "do something".

Generally the Yahoo business model has been and still seems to be to "try to put ourselves out of business and have everyone hate us".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Why are you surprised? Computer geeks are the worst tyrants in the whole world. The only good ideas are their ideas and you will do it their way.
    So very sad. So very true. So very frustrating too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post

Just went into edit membership and nothing has changed, can accept leave group from the original box, bottom right.
    Not sure John, perhaps you are just the benefactor of having lead a pure and righteous life.

Or maybe it just hasn't "hit" you yet. I'm doing the same as you, just log on and have look. I was exposed to the new look late last week, but talking to "friends" in Australia I see they have already endured at least two weeks of the new software.
    If you see straw hats when you log on you'll know that you too have now been blessed.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Yahoo neo is software released in the pre-alpha state to a large and increasing group of users - without warning or user consent.

The release is done per user -- so some members of a Group see the group as it used to be and others see it in the neo format (which looks and works differently). Yahoo has been targeting moderators and owners more than users but it is somewhat random. neo's operation seems(?) to be affected by the hardware, operating system, and browser and possibly Flash installation issues.

I am co-owner of a Group and added a second owner account for myself when I heard about neo. One of my accounts is now neo'd so I can look at the Group in either mode. Making certain changes in neo mode detrimentally affects the site as seen in the original mode - so, while making things better for neo'd users the site deteriorates for the others and the moderator making the changes doesn't know this unless he's lucky enough to have both types of account. Yahoo doesn't provide the ability to switch back and forth despite having both modes simultaneously operational on a Group. Our Group has members all over the world so we have 3 moderators in time zones about 8 hours apart; currently 2 moderators are neo'd and have been unable to moderate for several days...

Yahoo hasn't said much about neo so users have put together information on neo here:
    http://yahoogroupedia.pbworks.com/w/...20Groups%20Neo

Some people are voting with their feet:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130831123741AAh47dL

John

Each time I look at a forum, or group, and see it's powered by vBulletin, I breathe a sigh of relief. It's just so simple and sensible, and that goes for several versions, from 3.xx onwards. VP is a little behind as versions go, but I don't see that as a problem.

For example, I would like to see two dates/times on each post, one for the poster's time zone, and one for mine. But on the whole it's good.

Yahoo has, IMO, always been unbelievably poor. Maybe it was very well designed for computer illiterates. Maybe the new version was too, and the clever designers didn't realise that their users had grown up in the fifteen or so years since the thing started.

I'm saying this after reading the comments in the link Willy posted. I'm saving a visit to yahoo for later, when I'm REALLY in the mood !
    Richard

The post times are relative to the viewer which in my case is US CDT. Your post shows 12:29pm which is about 45 minutes ago. I could care less that you posted during dinner time and I certainly don't want to see GMT times or have to convert it to "my time". I like seeing when the thread was posted relative to my time.

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    I have been having problems with the old yahoo for over 10 years. I joined a South Bend Lathe group over 10 years ago and by mistake gave my work email as an alternate contact some how I got set up to get an email for every post. I deleted my account thinking it would stop but it hasn't I get like 300 emails a month to my work email address. I have asked and sent messages to please stop and it does not good. I will never join another Yahoo group I guess it will finally stop when I retire in a couple years and the email address is not good.

Mike
    I'll bet you're still a member of all the groups you joined ..you deleted your yahoo account ..but didn't delete your membership from the groups

just send a reply to the group with unsubscribe in the subject line.

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 09-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post

You haven't been neo-d yet.

look for the word neo in the address bar .

all will be neo'd in the end

It happened when I upgraded to the new yahoo mail with me.

I didn't want to do that either ..but every time I brought the mail up ..I was faced with a page asking yes or no, to the "all new yahoo mail" ..and having to log in every time..until I did ..

Youtube are now trying to do something similar with me ..it's asking to change my name to my real name .

I say no ..but every fu*king other time.. it comes up !!

And I think it's going to carry on doing that, until I let it have its way !

A real pain in the arse !

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 09-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.