Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animatronic Servo Project w/My Kid, pics.

Post Animatronic Servo Project w/My Kid, pics.

My 7(4 days away from 8yr old) lil girl and I did a small project.

I had a SSCII servo controller and some old futaba servos. A old halloween gorilla mask, and I bought some "frog" eyes from the hobby store.. Plus some tape, stainless rod and hot glue..

Hope you enjoy the pictures, The frame was bent by hand, I started out measuring it and marking with felt tip, then I noticed my eye was calibrated to 1/16th so I just started bending by eye.. It ain't perfect, but still fun.

I did the welding, let her tape on the servos with help, I made the rods, mounted the eyes and wrote the software in Visual basic to talk 232 to the SSCII.

It works, I put buttons on the VB screen for each movement, eyes, rt, left, cross, up and down, and the chin works up and down.

IT needs, some great stuff foam to anchor/shape the head. That with some straight pins to hold the mask on..

How do you keep a kid interested? She played with it for about thirty minutes after the build was done, now back to cartoons..

Whoo hoo.. I got her a week, taking her and the mother in law on the honeymoon. Leaving the monkey at home thou...

David

Cool,hey,it just hit me....a little more and that could sub for McDonalds help!It already has more IQ than the average and you ain't got to pay it squat
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Thumbs up

Right on David! Neat idea. Don't worry about her short attention span, she will remember that monkey the rest of her life. (my oldest boy remembers all the things that we worked on together) Cute kid, you better start thinking about building the ultimate BBB ("base ball bat" or if you like "boy bashing bat") You'll need it befor you know it.

BTW you would be doing us back woods bumkins who only have phone line internet service a big favor if you reduced the size of your photos.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Sorry GA.

I think about the reduction to 250k when uploaded to photobucket..

Some don't get reduced tho? I just don't think I guess, I expect everyone to be a fanatical upgrade person with thier internet and computers..

We have had some play with the gorilla head, the chin won't work the mask properly thou and needs foam to lock the wire in place.. Right now the mouth is clenched, teeth showing, green eyes bulging.. It is a terrifying sight I have to cover up before the daughter goes to bed.. I am trying to figure out how to make some coils and texture to look like brains on the foam.. spray paint them.. Perhaps wrap a bag around and lay non-expanding foam on it in coils?
    Eyelids.. hmm... how to do that...

David..

Cool project with your kid. Good on you for that.

Interesting look at your office area. Would that be a jug of Kessler on the floor (not criticizing, just curious)? Is that your car collection visible through the window? I think I see a DMV or IRS notice with your social security # on the wall above the computer, but haven't taken the time to blow it up and see for sure.

I have an aquaintance I used to work with years ago at my first hifi job. He got into RC cars way back when and eventually gave me the disease. The last time I saw him which is several years ago now, he had recently finished building th eanimatronic heads for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie! He got started the same way, with a garage shop and some backyard engineering and was making REAL good money building stuff for Hollywood at the time. I hear a lot of those guys have unfortunately fallen on hard times due to the easy availability of relatively inexpensive 3D modeling.

John

------------------
    Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
    Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

That is pretty neat. It is nice that you can do something like that with your kids.

I reduced the photo size, it was pretty easy after I found the photobucket button..

What is left of a 1/2 gal of wild turkey on floor. Soon married life will cure that expensive habit and make me drink/buy 1/2 pints I am sure. No more having fun.

Excitable, no dmv papers/SSN, just a deed I mistakenly hung on the cork board. I am in trouble for selling a motorcycle thou. They want me to continue insurance on it. Last I seen I may lose my license if I don't. I think they have not re-registered it. Once computers have access to everything they make mistakes like that. I'll probably go to jail next time I get pulled over.

Gee my office is a mess. That desk always stays like that. I built the 45 degree monitor desk and never finished it. (can't find it under there..)

Everyone with bifocals that has sat at the desk wants one. I don't wear glasses but it improved my posture..

No, neigbor has a garage across street. I moved here so I could have my antique cars and motorcycles and nobody complain. I have had more trouble with the county then anywhere before thou. Even with the place across the street they get on me. I put up a privacy fence around the back and put a pitt bulldog (pup) in it. No more problems.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 04-13-2004).]

i feel like i am looking at an i spy book, can't find the wild turkey, but i think i see a car
    Does anyone actually read siglines?

Hey Dave
    Your desk looks neat to me. Your project is pretty neat too. My brother does that sort of stuff for the theater. Sometimes they do it with mechanical linkages attached to your hand instead of servos or other motors.
    Nice job, Matt

Shed:
    The wild turkey is the whiskey bottle on the floor. It is real good hot (not). Chokes like fire and takes your breath.

I sometimes drink to relax before going to bed. NEVER do I drink outside my home anymore. Drinking causes mood swings and other personality problems. My nose has been broken a few times (13) cause of this. As I get older and my body falls apart more it makes me sick to drink too much.

My lil girl wants me to "not drink" at all. Someday I'll have to listen.

I am not real sure drinking is all that much fun. It is a drug thou that relaxes me.

David