Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple 2D CAD software for a novice?

Default Simple 2D CAD software for a novice?

Can you guys recommend an easy-to-use, basic 2D CAD software that's got a pretty easy learning curve?
    I just want to take my ugly hand drawn prints, and make them look (somewhat) professional.
    I've tried Sketchup, but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it.
    What's good, easy, and simple enough to just make prints.

Windows Visio 2010 or 2013. Amazing program... I use it for everything from "tiny" to importing and rework of gigantic Autocad files.

If you want a steeper learning curve - Draftsight is free and a great alternative to AutoCAD.

Another free 2D AutoCAD look-alike is ProgeCAD 2009 Smart!. It's got a learning curve, but I didn't find it too onerous. I bought an AutoCAD LT "how to use" book, started at the beginning, did the exercises and examples, and after about 3 chapters suddenly "got" the AutoCAD way of viewing the world. With that fundamental understanding, it suddenly became a lot easier. There is a considerable amount of stuff I don't know about the program, but I know enough to get by and do what I want to do.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Go to this link and you can try out a bunch, all free.

http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=2d%20cad
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

LibreCAD has been working for me at home.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

+1 for draftsight.

Owain

+2 for draftsight.
    Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

#3 for Draftsight. An excellent free 2D cad program that will do pretty well anything AutoCAD 14 will.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

I do not recommend anything that works like AutoCAD. AutoCAD is the "standard" but it has a nasty learning curve.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by SGW View Post
    Another free 2D AutoCAD look-alike is ProgeCAD 2009 Smart!. It's got a learning curve, but I didn't find it too onerous. I bought an AutoCAD LT "how to use" book, started at the beginning, did the exercises and examples, and after about 3 chapters suddenly "got" the AutoCAD way of viewing the world. With that fundamental understanding, it suddenly became a lot easier. There is a considerable amount of stuff I don't know about the program, but I know enough to get by and do what I want to do.
    I have been using this program for many years and I find that I keep coming back to it, even after trying newer, more powerful packages. It runs exactly like old school AutoCAD and has all the keyboard shortcuts that I know. I can draw faster with the keyboard shortcuts that the fancy mouse based tools. Mind you, the first CAD package that I used was AutoCAD 1.4 (not 14!)