Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap electric power steering and or rorary servo

Default Cheap electric power steering and or rorary servo

I have http://youtu.be/BuShsA_cqNkan old heavy grass cutter and I am getting older and weaker .Sooo I am going to convert it to power steering.I made a you tube video showing the unit being tested on my bench .My channel is ed631941 Cheap electric power steering. .I bought a unit from a 2003 saturn vue .A guy on ebay sells a converter box and very good instructions for abuot $60. These all electric units are fantastic ,no belts ,hoses or leaky pumps and fittings.I need my grass cutter for another month or so.I will try to fit this on my grass cutter during the cold weather and will post details. I hope others will find uses for these units.
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 02-16-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Neat, I have a need for something like this. I looked at rock auto.com and didn't see a part for the steering box under steering or electrical. Do you have a part #? Also a link to the eBay part would also be welcome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 914Wilhelm View Post
    Neat, I have a need for something like this. I looked at rock auto.com and didn't see a part for the steering box under steering or electrical. Do you have a part #? Also a link to the eBay part would also be welcome. Thanks
    Go to ebay and search elecrtic power steering control box,the ebay seller has a very good set of instuctions in his ebay add and a list of donor vehicles that his control box will work with. I bought my used steering box also on ebay for about $50.CAUTION CAUTION try to get the plug in electrical connectors and lead in wires that feed the unit.My steering box didnt come with them and I had to do a lot of salvage yard diving.Your best bet is to take the donor unit out youself that way you can be sure to just clip the wires . This is really really a neat unit. Good luck ,Edwin

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

wow .. you could build that into the knee on your mill and when your buddies come over
    you can show them how you can raise the knee on your mill with a itsy bitsy teeny
    weenie little crank. I wonder if it does continuous rotation .. or has limits. Lots
    of neat things if it does continuous.

Mike

Lots of options out there in electric assist steering. Most newer cars use the electric assist type and yes they can be adapted to lots of older vehicles. Do a search and find a lot of the hot rodders are using these in older vehicles where a traditional steering box may exist and they want to add power to it. Some even use electric motors directly in the rack units now.

" Some even use electric motors directly in the rack units now. "

Wow. Seems like that would make the car very difficult to steer if something in the EPS system failed.

Quote Originally Posted by winchman View Post
    " Some even use electric motors directly in the rack units now. "

Wow. Seems like that would make the car very difficult to steer if something in the EPS system failed.
    Its set up such that the failure feels just like it does when a hydraulic power steering unit fails. That's the way it is in my 2002 Prius.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Your Prius has the power steering mechanism on the input shaft.

I was talking about one like this with a ball-screw on the rack itself.

I' sure you're correct, but it's not clear how they build it so the force required to overcome a seized motor wouldn't be excessive.
    The law of gravity is fine, but the minimum sentencing guidelines are much too harsh.

Does the control box you bought mimic some function in the donor car's body control module? Any idea what's in the box?

Since the steering wheel goes more than a full turn lock-to-lock, it seems like the EPS you've got would be happy to just keep turning in one direction or the other for multiple turns...UNLESS there's a "clock spring" in there to carry the signals from the torque sensor.

That would limit you to about five turns.
    The law of gravity is fine, but the minimum sentencing guidelines are much too harsh.

The unit that I bought from a 2003 saturn vue appears to be a true rotary servo.It works continuous in 1 or both directions.When it is used in the original saturn the car computer has mutiple speed and other sensors that determine how much assistance to apply to the steering.The control box that I bought on ebay just has a simple variable resistor that varries the unit from full on to full off.I dont know what is in the control box. Also ,on a convevtional hydraulic power steering when when you break a pump drive belt or blow a hose or sudenly loose engine power the steering gets really stiff because you are pushing around hydraulic fluid .On my electric unit, there is almost no resistance when you lose power.