Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Versa-tools or Oscillating Multifunction Tools and accessories

Question Versa-tools or Oscillating Multifunction Tools and accessories

I recently purchased one of these tools from HF on sale 75% off for $15, but it did not come with any accessories:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-60428.html

HF has several accessories but they are typically $8-$15 each and the reviews for many of them were not very good (especially the sanding attachments). But I found what looks like a nice set from Amazon for $39 with free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/Versa-Tool-MBM...ol+oscillating

I have heard that these tools are pretty handy so I'd like to get a nice set of attachments, which this appears to be. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

I have one and used it to remove the linoleum floor from my kitched. I went through two plain edge knives, but I've never seen anything that can remove flooring like that thing. It was also used as a saw to create difficult cuts in walls and cabinets to route gas lines and to install power outlets. It will make short work of anything you point it at. Ear protection is a must.

Do you know that attachment kit from Amazon mates with the HF tool? Each of the tools that I've seen, whether it be HF, Fein, Rockwell, Dremel, etc., etc., et al have different, proprietary mating interfaces.

I bought one of those HF kits a few years ago. ...it's been a good tool to have at times. But I've watched how the attachment prices have shot up since. I guess the same marketing philosophy as for ink jet and laser printers ....give the device away and rob the people blind on the consumables.

It says:

"Compatible with Fein, CRAFTSMAN, Chicago Electric and more, see description for full tool compatibility list"

This tool is Chicago Electric, so I think it's OK.

There is a tool set (from China) on eBay for $26:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/9Pc-Mixed-Kit-Oscillating-Multi-Function-Saw-Blades-For-Multifunction-Power-Tool-/310763597670

Nothing else that compares to the deal from Amazon. I think I'll go for it!

Yup, just ordered it. $39 w/free shipping.
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 12-13-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: ordered

I had one of the HF units you purchased and it stopped working after just a few hours of work. It was still under warranty so I returned it and upgraded to the higher priced variable speed model which is working fine after a few years. For blades check out Grizzly, they have the them at very reasonable prices compared to everyone else. http://www.grizzly.com/search/search...18284807726741. I bought some, they are universal fit and work fine.

Stu

I didn't think much of them when they first came out, but they are handier than a shirt pocket.

The problem with the sanding is not the attachment, but the sand paper. The 'loop' on their 'hook and loop' (velcro) is junk. I wound up cutting my own sandpaper 'triangles' out of used random orbital sanding disks. Works like a champ.
    Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

The more often I use mine the more uses I find for it. Good tool, handy. The HF models don't run as smooth as a Fein or other name brand, but mine does the job just as well. The scraper blades (plain edged knives0 make quick work of old caulk, quality blades will cut difficult to reach nails when replacing facia and in other hard to reach places and whit some practice nice square cuts can be made in wood up to the blade depth.

Like the others, I use mine more often the longer I have it. I have not had any particular problem with the HF attachments and I have used many different ones. One thing to bear in mind is that HF offers some of them in two diffferent types, regular steel and high speed steel. Pick the HSS ones for a buck or two more and they work quite well for demanding situations. There are carbide blades available at Home Depot, I can't recall if HF sells them. Most companies' attachments are universal now.

Dennis

Nothing like it when it comes to laying flooring under door casings and such. It can also do some cuts that are near impossible otherwise in the tightest of spots. Bob.

They are the bee's knees for cutting holes in wall linings without risk of damaging hidden wiring or plumbing.