Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Photos and Starting Threads

Hello Larry, lets see if this helps to explain.

1. First, click on "My Profile" in the upper right menu bar.

2. On the left side of the page that pops up, select an existing album or click on "More" to create a new one.

3. Once in your album you will see thumbnail shots of your photos, if you have any. Select "Upload Photos" from the menu bar.

4. Another, smaller window will pop up. Click on "Add Files."

More in next post...
    Last edited by George Bulliss; 05-30-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    George

5. Up will pop a small window. Click on "Select Files."

6. You will then be able to select files directly from your computer and they will be listed in the window. Click on "Select Files" again if grabbing another photo and when ready to put them in your album, click on "Upload Files."

7. You will see your photo in the lower portion of the window, with a check mark to indicate it's been selected. Hit "Done" to close this window.

8. Back in your album, you will see the recently uploaded, "pending," photos in the upper half. Select "Save Changes" on the left side of the album.

Last edited by George Bulliss; 05-30-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    George

Almost there!

9. By clicking on a thumbnail photo in your album, you will see an enlarged version of that photo, with two options for links. Click on the "BB Code" box and it will turn blue, allowing you to hit "ctrl c" to copy the link.

10. Pasting the code into your post will result in something that looks like this:

To see what it actually looks like, click on preview.

Some tips: You may have to resize photos to better fit peoples computer screens. A simple program like MS paint (found on all Windows computers) is all you need. A width of about 600 - 800 pixels works well.
    There is a limit to the size of photo files that can be uploaded (not sure the exact number). If you see a red mark on the right side of the file name after selecting it in step 6, it's too big. Again, Paint will be able to reduce the size or resolution to make the file usable. You might want to rename it if resizing, so you don't lose your original high resolution shot.

There is probably plenty more I'm leaving out! Feel free to comment and offer tips.

Also, my view of the BBS is not exactly the same as others. Please let me know if there are differences between what I have shown and what you see.
    Last edited by George Bulliss; 05-30-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bulliss View Post
    Some tips: You may have to resize photos to better fit peoples computer screens. A simple program like MS paint (found on all Windows computers) is all you need. A width of about 600 - 800 pixels works well.
    There is a limit to the size of photo files that can be uploaded (not sure the exact number). If you see a red mark on the right side of the file name after selecting it in step 6, it's too big. Again, Paint will be able to reduce the size or resolution to make the file usable. You might want to rename it if resizing, so you don't lose your original high resolution shot.
    I recommend IrfanView, as itis the smallest and powerful and can do batches of images, like resize gazillions at a time.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

The image above is a thumbnail that I just uploaded to my album in a separate browser window. I drag/dropped it into my post.

When I clicked the image, it appeared full size. Again, I drag/dropped it into my post. So once your images are uploaded to your HSM album(s), you can pretty easily drag and drop.

I did a "short strokes" version of George's instructions above. You can find it here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...hotos+pictures

It even includes a PostIt ready image of the steps so you can stick it on your computer or screen for ready use.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Default Image Resizing is NOT Optional

Apparently this is not optional. I have had problems uploading some photos and I finally discovered that I was neglecting my own advise about resizing the image FIRST. When I tried to upload an image that was in the original camera resolution (4K pixels wide) it simply did not work.

But when I used Microsoft Paint to resize those photos to 800 pixels wide first, they worked just fine. Apparently, unlike Photobucket, this BB's software does not automatically resize the photos. When some upper size limit is reached, it just refuses to upload them and you do not get any real explanation as to why. And I did not get any red mark when I selected these oversized files. No indication of any kind.

Why can't computer geeks include error messages that give any real information? WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by George Bulliss View Post

...<snip>...

...<snip>...
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-02-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Add Title
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

Why can't computer geeks include error messages that give any real information? WHY?
    Because they're geeks. That's Why!
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    Because they're geeks. That's Why!
    If you have ever read the owner's manual of a piece of machinery from China you will recognize the difficulty of translating from a foreign language. Geek is a foreign language too. What is real information to one of them is not real information to you.

For those new to the bulletin board: To start a new thread (make sure you are logged in) select the forum that you want your new thread to appear in.

Then, in the upper left corner of the forum page, click on the "+ Post New Thread" button.

This will bring up a window for entering your thread content. Please note that a title must be entered in the title box.

Once you've typed your message, look in the lower right corner of the dialog box and click on either "Submit New Thread" to send the thread directly to the forum or click on "Preview Post" to see what the thread will look like once submitted.

Of course, there is plenty more that just what I covered, but that should get you started. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by George Bulliss; 05-03-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    George