Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Photos and Starting Threads

Default Posting Photos and Starting Threads

I've added instructions for starting threads to this "sticky" thread. To see the instructions, continue to post #20 or follow this link:
    Starting a Thread

Regarding photos: There are two ways to get photos to appear in your posts; both methods take a little effort, however.

First, you can store your photos at an online storage service and insert the link in your post. Many hosting sites have options for saving the link with the proper coding to display the photo in your post. We used to suggest the Photobucket site for hosting photos, but due to changes there we strongly suggest not using them.

The second option is to store your photos on this site in your "album." It's not the smoothest system, but it does work. Instructions for its use can be found in this thread, starting at Post #11.

In all cases, it's suggested that your photos be resized prior to posting. A width of 600-800 pixels is good. Anything larger will cause problems for many viewers and will likely exceed the size limits of your user album.

The following links are to threads in which members discussed various options for posting photos:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-Short-Strokes
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-picture-thing
    Last edited by George Bulliss; 05-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    George

Another option, if you are using an iPad or iPhone, is to use Tapatalk app to access this forum. (I'm not promoting Tapatalk - no business interest - I just like it). I belong to some other forums (ArcheryTalk and others) and the Tapatalk is a very easy interface to use. It makes all your forums look the same, so finding the features (for example search, list of all discussions you've participated in, list of all the forums) is very easy. It does not work on a laptop so I'm using the regular website here, but I find it is much easier to get around in Tapatalk.

EDIT, 4/28/18: This was for using PhotoBucket. Since their greedy tactic of charging hundreds of dollars for using them for hosting these posts, almost no one is using them anymore. I have posted another thread which is a shortened version of George's posts number 11, 12, and 13 below which describe how to use this BB's hosting feature. Here is the link to that thread, but you may want to try reading George's procedure below as it is more comprehensive:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...hotos+pictures

It even includes an image that is suitable for printing on a 2" x 2" sticky note.
    Edit Ends.

Copying a photo from another BB or web site.

Some here have had problems using images from other internet sites or other BBs. Here is how I do it.

First, please do honor any copy-write that may apply. Do check to see if the site or author has restricted further copying of the image and if that is the case, please honor that restriction and find a suitable image elsewhere or just use a link to that site instead of copying it.

How to steps:

1. Right click on the image. A drop down menu appears.
    2. Choose "Copy Image" from that menu.
    3. Open the Microsoft PAINT program.
    4. Press Ctrl-V to paste the image in PAINT.
    5. If needed, eliminate any white space by dragging the borders in to the image outline.
    6. If the image is large, it is a good idea to reduce it to about 800 pixels wide. You can also do this in PAINT (Resize, Pixels, Maintain Aspect Ratio, type in 800 for the width). If it is already smaller than 800 pixels wide, it is probably best to leave it as it is.
    7. Save the image AS JPEG. (Photobucket does not like other formats.)
    8. Follow the instructions below in Post #8 for using Photobucket or your favorite image hosting site to display the image here.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 04-28-2018 at 03:06 AM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

It is possible to upload images to this forum and use them in posts:

1. Click on your user name in the top right
    2. Select Albums > Images for Forum Posting > Upload photos > Add files > Basic uploader > Browse
    3. Choose the image you want and upload it
    4. Right-click on the image and click "Copy Image"
    5. In the forum post, use "Paste" to add the image.

The question about how to post a link to a YouTube video. Here are the short strokes.

1. Go to YouTube and find the video you want. That may not be an easy task, but I leave it to you.

2. Now, RIGHT CLICK anywhere in the video and a menu will pop up.

3. Click on the "Copy Video URL" item. The link will be copied to your clipboard.

4. Now go to the place where you want the video to appear in your post on this board. Press the CTRL and C keys on your keyboard at the same time. The link will be pasted.

The link to the video I used for the above photos is here:

https://youtu.be/jyNed1SyGR4

That's it. The video will appear in your post, just like it appears here.

Edit: Apparently YouTube has changed something since I first posted this. The Video no longer appears in the post, only the link to it. You can follow that link to the video, but it will not play inside the post.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 10-09-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    It is possible to upload images to this forum and use them in posts:

1. Click on your user name in the top right
    2. Select Albums > Images for Forum Posting > Upload photos > Add files > Basic uploader > Browse
    3. Choose the image you want and upload it
    4. Right-click on the image and click "Copy Image"
    5. In the forum post, use "Paste" to add the image.
    PStechPaul

I have a question on the above process. I am fine through step 3. The images are in an album.
    When I right click I do not get a "copy Image" I just get "copy".

When I try to reply to a thread I cannot figure out how to access the photos. The only way I have
    been able to get anything in a post is to have the reply setup on a window, then use another window
    to access my photo. However that only puts the link in the post. Clicking on the link gets
    the photo.

See here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...42#post1093742

Is your method suppose to actually have the photo appear or just the link?

Thanks

Bob

Bob: It may be somewhat browser-specific. I am using Firefox. I used "Copy Link Location" from your other post. Here I use the image icon to enter the URL:

It didn't work for me.

I created an album
    I uploaded 16 photos
    I got a screen showing little thumbnails of each one, and a place to give it a caption
    I gave them captions

Then I started creating a posting to use the images in a different browser tab
    I went back to the first tab where the images were still visible.
    I right clicked the image to copy it.
    I went back to the posting and tried to paste. It said there was nothing in the clipboard.
    When I went back to the album screen, I hit "refresh", and it said there were 0 images.

I am using Win 7 Pro and the latest version of Chrome.

25 miles east of Colorado Springs, Colorado

Using the HSM BB photo album for thread:

Using the HSM BB photo album to place a photo in a thread:
    Click -My Profile- at the very top of page
    Click -Albums- on the left of page
    Click -more-
    Click album thumbnail
    Click photo you want
    Copy -BB code- of this photo
    Paste this code into thread you are writing. Photo will appear in the text at that point.

See my post in the "Electrolysis, and cast iron." thread for an example.

JFLingg

Default Help

I tried all last evening to get some photos up so I could start a new thread about the new mill I just bought. I gave up on Photo Bucket because it just kept bogging down.
    I tried uploading photos to an album under my profile with the following results.
    In album click on upload photos
    New window - Manage attachments , click browse , Select photo , photo link appears beside browse box, click upload, link appears under current attachments,
    This is where it all stops, close this window boxes do not work, back out and there is no photos in the album.
    I am obviously doing something wrong but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it is.
    Once you do get the photos in your album how long will they stay there?
    Larry