Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: starret automatic punch disaster

Post starret automatic punch disaster

I was just using a Starret automatic center punch-

-and the tip broke off.

Cursing and jumping up and down has not fixed it yet.

Does anyone know if you can buy a replacement tip?

or am i going to have make a piece out of carbon steel and harden it.

[This message has been edited by thistle (edited 05-13-2004).]

Wink

Cursing and jumping up and down has always worked for me. Are you sure you are doing it right?
    KurtSimmons

What size hammer did you hit it with ?

I have ordered direct from Starrett in the past and have found them very coperative and helpful. Except in the price category. You might be better off buying a new punch. I'd look for a General.

RE: Jumping up and down and cursing: You must properly synchronize the four letter words with the highest point of the jump. Works much better that way. Also helps if you are on the phone with the manufacturer at the time.

Paul A.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Replacement tips are available. Part number PT02947, price $2.40 in my six year old price list.
    That is for the 18A & 18AA punches, the 18B is P/N PT02948, price also $2.40.
    Jim H.

Hummm.. strange, mine broke in the same place last week. I was using it by hand with a light spring setting (no BFH involved). Upset didn't really describe my comments as it really gouged up work when it broke and went skating. I haven't started looking for a new tip yet, actually not sure if I will. I wonder if Starrett has a slight quality control issue.

Call Starrett and e-mail the picture to them. I'm sure they'll send you a replacement part for free. The tip does wear with use, but it shouldn't break under normal use. This definitely falls under the "defective product" catagory.

Not the quite same problem, but I found that the Starret automatic punch tips are quite brittle - I tried using mine on some hot rolled mild steel - it didn't blunten, it chipped. I just resharpened it and won't try that again. (They sell new tips, I got a spare).

Actually, its years since I used my automatic punch, give me a hammer and a centre punch.

I reckon Starret makes their pin punches too hard also, the long series punches are extremely easy to break, whereas my old Millers Falls long punches seem to be much tougher.

[This message has been edited by Peter S (edited 05-13-2004).]

From what I've seen over the years, automatic center punch tips will often fracture if or when they are not fully threaded into the shank of the punch. The threaded TIP shanks don't hold up to impact loads very well, especially if there is even a hint of simultaneous side loading.

John

[This message has been edited by John Garner (edited 05-13-2004).]

This reminds me. I've got apunch just like this one thst doesn't work unless I shake it first. I've taken it apart (any excuse to take something apart you know) and it looks OK to me. Anybody know the trick to this?