Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: pdf help

Default OT: pdf help

I have a pdf of a manual for a pair of neat little two-way radios I snagged at a garage sale. I downloaded this very necessary instruction 'book' which is a two pages of type about .00001" high (I believe the typecase is called Flyspeck 3) and is therefore only readable at a computer terminal. Or by falcons. I'd like to separate the text into at least 4 pages and have tried everything I can think of, even downloading Acrobat (I already have Illustrator CS3) but for the life of me cannot modify the original page to where it is both readable and printable on 8.5 by 11. I have tried various things with Acrobat, Illustrator, and files converted to Word and the only thing I have gotten good at making it even smaller (!) or a complete mess of text with the graphics missing.

All I want to do is put in a couple of page breaks and print the damn thing.

Any ideas?

Do you have the link?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlByrns View Post

All I want to do is put in a couple of page breaks and print the damn thing.

Any ideas?
    It may be a bitmap in which case you'll need to run it through OCR software to convert it to text. Once it is text you can recreate the original in any character size you like.

If you can read it on a computer you should be able to print it at a readable size. At the very least, you should be able to take a "snapshot" or a screen shot of the pages and use MS Paint or other graphics software to save as JPG which can be resized and printed. Acrobat Reader has a snapshot tool under the "edit" tab, and there is also a File|SaveAs|Other with a choice of text.

I have Nitro PDF Pro 8 which has other features that might help. If you can post the file for download I'll see what I can do to save it in a form you can edit, format, and print as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I have Nitro PDF Pro 8 which has other features that might help. If you can post the file for download I'll see what I can do to save it in a form you can edit, format, and print as you wish.
    Thanks, Paul. I sent you an email with the pdf attached.

I've had some success converting PDF-text to real, plain old text by
    1) opening your favorite text editor of choice (Emacs for me, usually most
    systems, including windows PCs, come with something called textedit or
    the like ....
    2) selecting the text in the PDF I want (if you have a "select all" command
    on the edit menu, that might do the trick)
    3) copying the text to the clipboard
    4) pasting the text in the text editor (of course, if your text-editor-of-choice
    is modeful like VI, make sure you're in input mode first --- or the pasted
    text will be interpreted as commands :-)

This might also work pasting the selected stuff into a word document ... though
    I don't recall trying that specifically

Or maybe print it to a file as "text"

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    I've had some success converting PDF-text to real, plain old text by
    1) opening your favorite text editor of choice (Emacs for me, usually most
    systems, including windows PCs, come with something called textedit or
    the like ....
    2) selecting the text in the PDF I want (if you have a "select all" command
    on the edit menu, that might do the trick)
    3) copying the text to the clipboard
    4) pasting the text in the text editor (of course, if your text-editor-of-choice
    is modeful like VI, make sure you're in input mode first --- or the pasted
    text will be interpreted as commands :-)

This might also work pasting the selected stuff into a word document ... though
    I don't recall trying that specifically

Or maybe print it to a file as "text"

Frank
    Tried that several different ways but always lost the graphics and formatting.

It seems in illustrator that you can enlarge it but then the sheet enlarges too. Can you save the enlarged text as an item and install it on a normal page? Is it an unlock 'attribute'? I have ver. 10.0 don't know if that is newer or not.

I think foxit PDFEditor/ may let you do everything you want. There is a free version.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

PDF files are tricky. I have seen ones where everything appears normal on the screen but when I try to print them I get a bunch of garbage characters where letters and number should be. So, nothing is guaranteed.

If it really is text that you are seeing and not an image of text, then you should be able to outline (select) it and use Control-C to copy it to the clipboard. Then open Word or your favorite word processor or plain text processor (WordPad, NotePad, etc.) and use Control-V to paste it there. Now you can change the type size, font, etc. And print it as you like.

If it is an image file, you may be able to copy it using Control-C and then paste it in a program like Paint or Paint.net and manipulate (resize) and print it there.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!