Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Quiz - gasket material

Question Memory Quiz - gasket material

Okay -

As we all know, the older one gets the less sharp the memory gets.

I am looking for a gasket material that resists high temperatures. Back when I worked at TRW Space Systems, we used it all the time between assemblies - it was good for -200F to +600F. Only problem is I don't remember what it was called. While I don't need that wide a range, I do need it to tolerate ~500F (lower range is room temperature and therefore not a consideration). I did a Google search of "high temp gasket" -- 50,000,000 hits and couldn't find what I was looking for. Tried "high temp insulation" - that was even worse.

So does anyone have a favorite gasket material good to +500F?

Machining - only cutting to shape, think donut. Thickness .063 up to whatever.
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Copper ???? comes to mind, used for head gaskets. Felt or silicone / Teflon type materials.

JL.............

Expanded PTFE is good to +600F while Carbon Graphite does the same a bit cheaper.McMaster Carr has both.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Compressed asbestos fibre gasket is possibly what you used.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

There are of course a wide range of materials suitable for that temperature range. Only thing is we have no idea exactly what you used way back when, never mind what it is you are trying to keep out or keep in so I won't suggest anything.

Well I take that back.
    What I will suggest is a more suitable search term for your Google search.
    Try "wide temperature range gasket material". I'm sure you'll end up with more choices than you want.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Try Allite but it might be a UK trade name.
    It's a grey metallised substance and often used as exhaust gaskets on engines.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I just purchased some high temperature gasket material from McMaster-Carr in USA. They have a wide selection on their website.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#

"high temperature gasket material" using Google gets fewer hits but many appear useful...http://www.gasketsinc.com/category/h...erials/3001029 as example.
    From my very limited knowledge base, any refinement of search terms could help...at first quick look there appear to be several general uses, including for exhaust (covering the entire range of cars, trucks, planes etc.), but also involving heating apparatuses (stoves, heaters etc.). There also appear to be two very general "types", those being fibre of some sort with added agents for reinforcement or for heat OR more of a molded type (homogeneous and poured/molded?).

Found a couple on the first 10 pages or so that have specific aerospace departments or mentions including some 50+ years old in the US so any more recall of what you used might help.
    Other issue I suppose could easily be that there is something better and cheaper by now.

Klingerite.

For that low a temperature, Klingersil will probably do the job as well.

The McMaster link worked. I remembered it had a name similar to one of the characters in Shogun. It was alumina impregnated Buna-N. That stuff is pretty expensive, but I was able to locate a usable material.
    Kevin

More tools than sense.