Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying this piece of steel

I did a side-by-side comparison with some cast that was laying around and this unknown piece's spark pattern was much longer and bushier than the cast. I'll try the spark test again and see if I can get some reasonable photos. In the meantime, the spark pattern is between the medium and high carbon examples in the diagram.

I've got some cast iron bar here in the UK with the same spiral marks on it.Finish is the same as in the photos, spark is short and widespread. My vote is still for cast iron, but part off a thin 'washer', stick it in the vice and hit it sideways. If it bends but doesn't break, then I'm wrong.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Another vote for stressproof / 1144

Hey Zeolite, welcome to the forum!

With zeolite for a handle, are you a geologist/mineralogist or in the chemical filtration industry?

I have a degree in geology and a collection of zeolite minerals.

Mark
    My cup 'o plasma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1vMfmhM9fg No dialog, just ten minutes of dancing plasma and music. Turn on, tune in, space out.

Sorry, i'm not a geologist. I found the material and etymology of the word interesting, "boil stone."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
    I've got some cast iron bar here in the UK with the same spiral marks on it.Finish is the same as in the photos, spark is short and widespread. My vote is still for cast iron, but part off a thin 'washer', stick it in the vice and hit it sideways. If it bends but doesn't break, then I'm wrong.
    I think you may be right. I didn't think to do this kind of test, but it sure looks like it's cast iron. Here's a couple pictures of the broken washer.

Well done, nice brittle fracture, spiral marks must be centrifugal cast iron, one to remember!
    Handy bit of stuff
    Mark

That was a good idea, it should be given a name.
    The Wilson Washer Test

It's the WWW test.
    The Wilson Washer Whack!
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

the 1144 I have used had no pattern on the outside, and was a medium brown color. Nothing like that exterior.

Yes, break looks like CI, but chips do NOT look like CI. Ci generally gives dust, although there can be curls, generally very small ones, mixed with dust.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan