Thread: OT: Where to Find Plastic Strip for Truck Cap

Default OT: Where to Find Plastic Strip for Truck Cap

I have a cap on the back of my truck and, like many such, it has a number of metal (extruded aluminum) strips with a flexible plastic (vinyl?) strip covering the screw heads in that extruded strip. Those plastic strips are starting to age and crack and I want to replace them.

I went to a local shop that installs those caps for the first one that cracked and they charged me almost $50 to replace just that one. That is just too much for a five minute job and 8 or 10 feet of the plastic strip. Their prices on the caps are out of sight too. So I hate to go back there.

Yesterday I stopped at a bunch of local auto and hardware stores and could not find any of this material. This morning I searched on the web, also with little luck. But that is probably a matter of terminology.

Does anybody know where I can find some of this flexible plastic strip material? Or at least what to search for? The proper search words? I need a material that is about 7/8" wide and about 1/32" thick. I am willing to buy a full roll as the remainder of the strips will probably go bad over the next year or two.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Sort of like?

3M vinyl striping

www.vinylstriping.com

Check here, They use to sell the inserts for extruded aluminum pieces
    http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/home/index.cfm
    Can't tell you which catalog it was in but try the signage and display products first!
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Try searching "auto trim" or "truck trim" --- quick Google search turned up quite a few, here is a custom maker, for example: http://www.customautotrim.com/produc..._1_1eights.htm. Know nothing of them, just an example....

RV dealers have it on rolls in white or black. I redid all of the channel trim on my Jayco camper for about $50.

RV dealers! Why didn't I think about that.

Thanks!!!
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    RV dealers! Why didn't I think about that.

Thanks!!!
    Boat dealers too!

clamshell type covered snowmobile trailers use it too. i need to get a roll to do mine before winter really hits.

i'm suspecting you don't see too many snowmobile trailer dealers in your area though