Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for tangential cutter tool holder?

Default Ideas for tangential cutter tool holder?

I'm looking at putting together a tangential tool holder to suit Norman Patent style QCTP systems, primarily this one:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ange-Tool-Post

Here's the design I've come up with:

A few disadvantages I can see right from the start: The front face of the holder has a 12 degree angle with respect to the back face. The slot for the holder has a similar 12 degree angle, but should be much easier to accomplish, as it's just a 0.25 inch slot.

Here's what I'm curious about: I'm looking at securing the tool in the slot with a large conical washer for a flat face M4 socket head cap screw. The slot will be ever so slightly less than the width of the tool. I don't think it will be enough, but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea for accomplishing this.
    Last edited by burdickjp; 11-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.

It looks like the washer will be in the way of the stock being turned. You could bandsaw a slot along the inside edge of the lathe bit slot and use a flathead screw coming in from the side opposite the slot in the drawing to clamp it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolguy View Post
    It looks like the washer will be in the way of the stock being turned. You could bandsaw a slot along the inside edge of the lathe bit slot and use a flathead screw coming in from the side opposite the slot in the drawing to clamp it in.
    I think if I mirror the whole thing to put the washer on the face closest to the head stock instead of its current face that may cure that. I can also run a thinner washer or recess it or something like that.

I've made a couple of these tangential toolholders now. My favorite design looks like this:

This design allows for turning and facing without changing the set-up of the holder. The tool-bit is held very firmly--never had one slip!

Here's a couple pics of the toolholder:

Here's another one that uses a round bit for radii between facing and turning or taper and face, etc.

Maybe you could adapt this to your tool post?

Jim

I had been looking at the ones that grip that way and scratching my head as to how they get in there to cut it that way, and as I was looking at your pictures it dawned on me.
    It'd probably still be useful if you could discuss how you went about it.

Thank you!

It can be done in essentially 3 setups:

1) Drill the hole for the back corner of the toolbit, and the "flex" hole for clamping

2) Machine the slot for the tool-bit. Use a slitting saw to remove the metal for one corner, a small end-mill to remove the metal from the other.

3) Remove metal to shape the front and side of tool-holder, cut slit for clamping, drill and tap for clamp screws.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim2; 11-24-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added coordinate axes to drawings

That is fantastically helpful. Thank you VERY much.

I love the tangentials! Always happy to spread the good news.

Jim

Here's where I'm at thus far with a clamping-style tool holder. I'm thinking one or the other sides needs a slot so that clamping the tool doesn't work against clamping to the post.

I think it'd be easy to add another tool to the other corners of the holder. Either 1/8 inch or round or whatever.

I'm trying to decide if it'd be advantageous to make the thickness of the holder such that I don't need to adjust height by moving the holder vertically on the post, since the tool can move vertically in the holder.
    Last edited by burdickjp; 11-27-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Here I've made the clamping mechanism different and added a round holder.

I think when I go to make something I'll start with round since it will be much easier to manufacture.
    The rest of it honestly looks much more complicated than I want to attempt making. Way too many set ups and processes.