Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: _ Remember that Greenerd No3 your neighbor tossed in the woods 30 years ago ?

Default _ Remember that Greenerd No3 your neighbor tossed in the woods 30 years ago ?

My father stopped by, seen one of them $125 12 ton hydraulic presses in my basement. We got talking and with a funny smile he's like i know where theres a Greenerd... i finished his sentence... "yeah... Tracy tossed one in the woods when i was a kid..."

So off to pop's house i whent.

Pops called the (new 15-18 yrs) neighbor, he said somewhere along the lines he pushed it into a hole and was back filling with yard clippings and dirt for some years. Neighbor pointed out a general area and i started to stab the ground with a piece 1/2 bar stock and... ding. Dug down deep enough to get a strap around it and pulled it out with a truck. Have a nice little project on my hands now and hopefully a working Arbor press down the lines.

Hand wheel broken off, counter weight broken off and bent bar. If i can get it all freed up and functioning, the counter weight seams like it will be the only thing which will be a pain.

~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Nice! Now there is a piece of equipment that will have a great story to go with it when you get it back it together!
    Last edited by alanganes; 12-20-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

Drop it in a few gallons of evaporust for few days - it will probably start working without any forcing.

Ok. Now tell us the rest of the story.
    WHY would someone dump a press into a hole and bury it?

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post
    Nice! Not there is a piece of equipment that will have a great story to go with it when you get it back it together!
    Wish he reminded me years ago, hopwfully in the end it will be a happy story

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Drop it in a few gallons of evaporust for few days - it will probably start working without any forcing.
    My fater had a 3/4 full jug, gonna do alittle wire wheel cleaning tomorrow and then fill up a spray bottle and go to town. Have some Aerokroil kickin around also.

Quote Originally Posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
    Ok. Now tell us the rest of the story.
    WHY would someone dump a press into a hole and bury it?
    Dont know why the original guy tossed it in the woods. As a kid, i can remember riding my dirt bike and quad back there and seeing it. The bar has always been bent, no idea about the handwheel or counter weight. The new neighbor said he pushed it in the hole when his kids where young to get it out of the way. Guess he had no use for it ?
    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Spray bottle won't work well with Evaporust; it takes several hours to overnight, but will chase down the shaft and other enclosed areas. If you have limited quantities, use a small aquarium type pump to flow over the affected regions. Solution and item 90 -120F works well - heat with a light bulb or whatever. Keep your penetrating and other oils off the item until you are finished with ER.

Quote Originally Posted by iMisspell View Post
    ... We got talking and with a funny smile he's like i know where theres a Greenerd... i finished his sentence... "yeah... Tracy tossed one in the woods when i was a kid..."

So off to pop's house i whent.
    Now that's cool... best of luck with it, can't wait to see finished pics.

Dittos on what Lakeside said about using Evaporust, cover/flood completly. Heck, it would be worth picking up another gallon of it to add to what you have for this. If you have to, soak it on one side inside of a heavy duty plastic trash bag overnight, flip and repeat.

Thats a cool story! Can't wait to see the resurrection!
    Andy

I'd say to hell with the evaporust, use electrolysis first, then start scrubbing at it and such, nice thing is you only need water, baking soda, a tank, and a battery charger, and some scrap iron you no longer need, no chemicals to deal with is a huge plus. Looking forward to seeing it brought back to life, cross your fingers the casting isn't cracked or something, remember it got tossed in the woods for a reason.

I somehow really like the fact that you can recall seeing this sitting in the woods when you were a kid.

Some guys have posted some pretty amazing resurrections of what looked to be rusted-beyond-recovery machines on here and other forums. The electrolytic derusting method seems to yield some amazing results for some people and as the kid points out, costs almost nothing.

Be cool to see this come back to life.