Thread: silver solder identification

Post silver solder identification

I was given some silver solder. One has a blue flux coating, the other a pink fux coating. The giver didn't know what the difference was. Any idea what the difference is?
    Jim

One is for boy soldering, the other is for girl soldering. ... or maybe the blue is for convex, and pink for concave joints.
    (Sorry. I tried to not comment, but just couldn't help myself.)
    Humor aside, I haven't a clue.

I expect the only way to know, for sure, is a metallurgical analysis. You might get some clue from the melting point. If you can find known silver solders that "looks the same," with the same melting points, that would probably be pretty good evidence. But you'd need to know the melting points accurate to, probably, 25 degrees or better.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then give up. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

JimH:
    I buy Nickel/Silver rods that has a blue flux - it is designed for stainless steel but works with alloys as well.

I tried the pink on some brass and it flowed fine. Tried the blue on some 12L14 and it flowed ok. Will try the pink on the 12L14 and blue on the brass.
    Thanks for the help,
    JimH