Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excello 602 mill

Post Excello 602 mill

Brought one home yesterday.

Is anyone providing parts support for these? Is Excello still in business at all?

Source for a manual?

If anyone has any hints/tips for a new owner, I'd appreciate hearing them...

For those who haven't seen one:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/excello/

[This message has been edited by Herb W (edited 06-03-2004).]

I have two,parts are scarce at best,I think Ex-cello is still around,but are out of the small mill business,I haven't needed any parts that I couldn't make,the things are "wagon simple"worst part of mine was the VS belt drive,it was totally worn out,since the mill has a two speed gear box I took out the VS belt,pulley and motor,bought a 2hp DC motor and control and use that,speed pot knob and a tach,lots simplier than the vs drive and much more quiet IHMO,but now with VFD'S being much cheaper that would be the way to go.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I have a copy of a manual on my website. It covers one of the more recent models of 602's.
    Dean

http://www.deanq.net/aboutme.htm

Oh forgot to mention,I may have a few parts depending on what you need,very few for the head though,mostly vs pulleys and etc,not all were worn out,they are just left over from the mods I did.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

What size quill does the excello mill have? Is it the same as a BP (3.375) or larger?
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Wink

Herb you must have the nose of a blood hound to be able to sniff out all those machine tools in Manitoba.

Did you build a bigger shop or are you always walking sideways in the old one?

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 06-04-2004).]
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

sandman, the quill measures around 3.555 The manual says 3 9/16. I understand that most of these mills had R8 spindles...mine is a 40 taper.

Dean - I downloaded the manual...thank you!
    Looks like it's the right vintage for my mill.

wierd - looks like I might need a quill return spring. Far as I know it doesnt' need any other parts (guess I'll find out soon enough). When I ran it, the variable speed seemed to be smooth & quite.
    I will need to do a motor swap though. It has a 600 volt 3 phase on it. Anyhow...thanks!

G.A., good used machines don't come on the market very often here, but if you keep watching, it does happen once in a while

The mill & grinder came from the same place...and only a half hour drive away!

I did do a major clean up & reorganization in the shop this winter. It was almost reasonable for a while. Now I've stuffed in these machines and it's standing room only again.

BTW have you finished the lathe project?

Herb,
    What a really nice mill.
    Nice beefy spindle, no whimpy R8 but a decent taper and 6" travel to boot.
    This was the way Bridgeports should have gone when they swopped from the round ram to the Vee ram.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Thanks, I was thinking that was the quill size but wasn't sure if my memory had slipped a byte.

I have a Volstro head that fits it, been wondering for sure if that is what it fits.Seems it also fits some of the Maho Mills, like the 1983 they have at a friends shop
    I also know where a grinding attachment is for one, pretty sure it says excello on it. No idea if it fits your model or not. It belongs to the same friend , but no excello in the place.
    David from jax

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 06-04-2004).]
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.