Thread: how to sharpen tin snips

Default how to sharpen tin snips

i just tought myself how to sharpen snips. a couple of years ago i couldnt resist and bought snips for $8, left and right hand. they didnt cut anything and lived in the bin ever since.

out of curiosity i took them apart today. i put the flat side of the blades on a little hand held sander with a 80 gritt belt for a few seconds. then i got out a cheap stone and made a dozen passes on each side. i didnt touch the teeth.

now i can cutt off 1 mm strips in 0.5 mm stainless without any effort all day.

Interesting, you talking about the compound action ones?

I bought a 3 set of them, left, right, center... Tried to use them once, found them entirely useless, went back to my pair of 10" non compound tin snips that look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons View Post

I bought a 3 set of them, left, right, center... Tried to use them once, found them entirely useless, went back to my pair of 10" non compound tin snips that look like this:
    Yes, those are tin snips. The ones the OP sharpened, aviation snips or compound snips. Tin snips are sharpened differently.

Are we talking "Wiss" snips or Chinese knockoffs ? A good set of Wiss snips will last the average guy a long time. I have never needed to sharpen mine. Buy good tools and only cry once. Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons View Post

You need to get the offset compound (aviation) type, they're almost a throatless shear and keep your hands away from the cut edges. The straight aviations (The only style I've ever seen yellow center cuts) are a pain unless you only cut banding, and yeah, I'd rather use the scissor type instead of them.

About the only thing tin snips are good for is cutting duct work. I've got a pair of Wiss aviation snips I've had for over 20 years and probably stoned the edge twice. Its been cutting 20ga. and 18ga CR 1008 all of its life. About all I need to do is occasionally tighten the pivot bolt as it seems to loosen. The only real gripe about the Wiss is the vinyl grips keep slipping down on heavy cuts.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 02-18-2015 at 07:39 PM.

So scissor style can get sharpened all the rest can't?

Enco has Wiss snips on sale. I want to buy a set, which is the most useful for all around use?
    OAL
    7"
    8-1/4
    9-3/4"
    11"
    12-1/2"
    Last edited by Ron of Va; 02-19-2015 at 08:11 AM.

this is it:

it only took like 5 minutes. so if you have anything similar under the bench, give it a try.