Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanford Surface Grinder

Post Sanford Surface Grinder

I put in a lowball snipe bid on a Sanford surface grinder and to my surprise, I won it for $500. I have to go pick it up in Rockford IL. next Saturday. The machine has a Brown & Sharp magnetic chuck and is 110 volt. A surface grinder is one machine I do not have in my home shop and I have thought for some time it might be a useful addition. Anyone know anything about this particular machine? I was unable to find anything on the manufacturer in my Google search.

Perk in Cincinnati

What is the size of the grinder?
    Sanford is most notable for their benchtop surface grinder with a 4" x 6" table. Cute little thing! It's fully manual, but it does a pretty good job and it obviously fits well in a small shop.
    Mine has been stored in a damp environment for years and the motor needs a bit of attention (torque is much lower than it should be until it's fixed). The electromag chuck on mine is on the fritz, but that might not be too difficult to re-wind.
    The problems I've had with mine are only a result of abuse and neglect. Overall it is a nice unit and works well on small parts.

Vinito;

The grinder has a B&S magnetic chuck on it that is supposed to be 6"X12". It is a small unit, probably the smallest that they offered. I talked to the guy who listed it and was told that it was part of a collection of machines his father had assembled in his home shop. His father passed away and now his widow wants the son to sell the stuff and get it out of the house. To see it you can probably still see the listing photos on ebay, item 3818615176. It seems to me I read a thread a few months ago about small surface grinders where someone was recomending a "Sanford" as a good machine for home shop use.

Perk in Cincinnati

Perk:

I have one of the little Sanfords. IIRC, the chuck is 3x5. Handy little guy, I have it mounted on wheels so I can grind outside without get the grit in the shop.

George

Is a PowerMatic surface grinder any good? I was trying to deal for one for $200. Could not see much of it as it was buried in a basement, guy said he wanted $400 and was worth $600-$700.
    mark costello-Low speed steel

Perk,

DoN Nichols has some info on the small surface grinders on his web site:

http://www.d-and-d.com/misc/MANUALS/Sanford/

Well worth the download!

If this was a recent Ebay auction would you mind posting a link to it? Rockford is close to me and I would have been tempted to bid were it not for a KO Lee grinder acquired at Christmas. The Sanford will be a heck of a lot easier to get to the basement than the KO Lee and those that have the small Sanfords seem to like them.

Mike
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Mike,
    Thanks for the link!
    I see that Don experienced the same as I did from Sanford - that they don't like talking to people. I haven't looked at the files yet, but it will be nice to have a manual for the machine.

Also, I like my Sanford, but I'd also like to trade up to a larger one. Seems that my scale of work is larger than it once was.

Wanna trade?

Mike;

The Internet is a wonderful place to exchange information. Thanks for the links to the manuals and brochures. They are very helpful. I can see looking at the manuals that the machine I won on ebay is in fact the Sanford 6X18 grinder. According to the manuals they also made a smaller bench top machine that was 4X8, and cute as the dickens. The price quote for my machine in 1996 was $9097.00, and that didn't include a chuck! Makes me feel pretty good about picking this up for $500.00. As far as a link to the listing, I have the ebay item number that you can use to search on ebay and you should be able to see the item and the email address for the seller. The item number is 3818615176. I know my machine is 110 volt and has a 6X18 Brown and Sharp magnetic chuck. I was told this by the seller over the phone. Looking forward to the trip to Rockford this coming Saturday to pick it up.

Perk in Cincinnati

Vinito,

According to later postings from DoN it seems that Sanford is no longer answering the phone - maybe they are out of business?

Sorry - after the aggravation encountered in moving a KO Lee S714 grinder to my basement there is no way that I'd want to move it out again. Just got it running Sunday and it looks like it will work out well. Seems like whatever machine tool one obtains, one quickly wishes it was a bit bigger.

Mike
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Perk,

Based on the Ebay ad it looks like you got a great deal on that grinder!

I don't yet know much about surface grinders but have been told that one should be very careful moving them. The table is often (always?) just laid down on the apron so a bad bump in transit could have it popping off. That could really ruin your day. I've also heard that previous owners have sometimes removed the bolts that fix the apron to the base, so you might want to check that everything is secure in that respect before lifting the grinder or moving it.

Good luck with the move. I drove to Cincinnati and back in one day a couple years back and don't envy you the trip (except for the grinder).

Which route will you be taking once you get to Chicago? There at least 3 possible major Interstates that you could take and this is construction season so it might pay to check on road status. Illinois has a web site that details construction info, I think. Ah, here it is:

http://gis.dot.il.gov/idotgis/roadco...20Construction

or just Google on "Illinois Interstate construction" - it's the first link.

Watch out for traffic congestion in Indiana near Lake Michigan - that's often a killer even without construction.

Mike
    Mike Henry near Chicago