Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tooling do these inserts fit?

Default What tooling do these inserts fit?

I couldn't find them online. Are they older naming? They must fit something.

Thanks,
    Rich

A lot of the older inserts like that were for silver soldering onto steel shanks.

I have a very old Walter face mill that uses inserts of that type. No hole and square. They get clamped in place.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

The flat top, no-hole milling inserts will have an ISO or ANSI standard designation such as SPKN1204 or SEEN43. That box is probably as lakeside53 says, a simple blank used for silver soldering onto a steel shank. I might suggest it could be a wear pad for some mechanism, but the grade CY-7 gives it away as a grade for machining steels. The "style M-168" makes it non-standard and if an indexable insert, would go into a very proprietary holder.

I got 4 similar boxes in a lot at an estate sale about a year ago and have not been able to find out what they fit. I believe that mine have a larger radius on the corners but other than that look the same. I have just resigned myself to making a tool holder for them if I ever use them.
    Hi, my name is Wilson and I am a tooloholic.

They are worth more as scrap carbide than they ever would be worth spending time to make a holder and get questionable performance out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RichTes View Post
    I couldn't find them online. Are they older naming? They must fit something.

Thanks,
    Rich
    they look like SPG434 inserts. I use them in a Shars facing mill:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-VALENITE...item3a8d03430c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-2-75-R...item519ffb9098

Save them for when the price of scrap carbide rises again.

Quote Originally Posted by ken226 View Post
    they look like SPG434 inserts. I use them in a Shars facing mill:
    If they were SPG434 inserts don't you think they would have been marked as such?

There is no sense of scale in the photo. We don't know if there's a side clearance angle, and if there is, what that angle is. (An SPG would have 11)

I don't understand why people obsess about saving $2 worth of scrap carbide for use in something when you don't need it. Having a little carbide to dispose of is just a matter of collecting it until you have a couple of pounds (or a couple dozen pounds) to unload and turning it in for tools you can actually use.

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    I don't understand why people obsess about saving $2 worth of scrap carbide for use in something when you don't need it. Having a little carbide to dispose of is just a matter of collecting it until you have a couple of pounds (or a couple dozen pounds) to unload and turning it in for tools you can actually use.
    LOL... I have a couple of 3/8" carbide rods I've been saving for years just waiting for the right time and place to use them.