Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4 Warner & Swasey

A friend of mine has one of those beasts in his shed.
    It has the four position turret on it and was running when he put it in the shed.
    I am not sure of the size or model number but I wil check.
    I do know that it is so big, it took a wrecker to put it in the shed several years back.
    Where are you located? I am in cental Texas.

Question #4 Warner & Swasey

I have just made a trade for my combo mill drill lathe which was a gift to me, I never used for a #4 Warner & Swasey lathe. It's an older model # 1420. I have needed a larger machine for years but could not justify the cost until now. It is seldom I will use it but when it's needed and for the price I could not go wrong. There is one problem however. It is missing it's tail stock. So far I have not been able to find one. Has anyone seen one??? This machine is old enough that a tailsock for it would be considered counter weight or scrap. It's one saving grace is that it came from a mine and has almost zero time on it. It was left behind when they left town. In any case I will make more use of this cat with no tail than the mouse I had.

You can wait on the right one, or make one fit..

Blocking it up to match swing on the lathe will be easiest probably.

I have a old cinncinatti with the tail stock stuck. I have tore the threads off rod, wore the end off a hammer on it.. it is stuck good.

It is a 24"x120"

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]

Try this outfit. They specialize in Warner and Swasey machines and parts. If they don't have one, maybe they can point you to someone who does. http://www.gahrmachine.com/stock.asp
    Pete

Ibe: I dont mind to make one fit. It's never been a problem before. I have enough other machines in my shop I could just about refit anything. Let me know if you here of one. The size of this machine is about 42" C to C with a 12" chuck.

I don't you will find a tailstock for the #4 W&S. This is a turret lathe, and to my knowledge W&S never offered a tailstock. I would look for somebody scrapping one out, and see if you could work a deal for the bed turret, if your lathe doesn't have one.
    Harry

I think your right Beckley23. I have been checking for the past three days and no luck. Finding a bed turret seems to be the answer. Pete913 thanks I am going to see if I can find a unit closer to home. I'll bet the weight of this piece is probably 250lbs or more. I can just imaging the shipping.

I just went thru my manuals, and nary a mention of one, or a even a picture of one, but I did find that a taper attachment was made for it. Mine doesn't have one either.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

You'll never in a million years find a tailstock for that lathe...never was one. W&S was all about turret lathes.

Your right D. Thomas so nix to that idea. Now to find a turret. Your right Sandman and it just so happens theres one on this machine. Theres got to be an affordable bed turret out there somewhere for this machine.