Thread: OT, Sort Of: Summer Outing and Looking For Possible Machining Stops

Default OT, Sort Of: Summer Outing and Looking For Possible Machining Stops

I am planning a trip in June and will be visiting several states including Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana. I am wondering if there are any places of machining interest that I may stop at. Any good tours or tool shops. I know of Grizzly in Springfield and have been there several times so I will probably skip it this time.

I would also enjoy a good RR museum, preferably with a short steam powered trip.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

St Louis has a transportation museum that used to be mainly train related.
    I haven't been there in several years but I doubt if their main theme has changed.
    There used to be a place in Jackson Mo. that ran a short steam ride but I heard they don't use a steam engine any longer due to ins. costs.
    I don't know if Sunnen does a factory tour, I've been through there but I know a few people that were able to show me around.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

May find something here: http://www.factorytoursusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by v860rich View Post
    St Louis has a transportation museum that used to be mainly train related.
    I haven't been there in several years but I doubt if their main theme has changed.
    I highly recommend that also. It's been quite a few years since I was there but a very impressive collection of "transportation" things. :-)
    ...lew...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I am planning a trip in June and will be visiting several states including Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana. I am wondering if there are any places of machining interest that I may stop at. Any good tours or tool shops. I know of Grizzly in Springfield and have been there several times so I will probably skip it this time.

I would also enjoy a good RR museum, preferably with a short steam powered trip.
    It's not steam powered, it is (mainly) Alco powered: the Arkansas and Missouri Railroad. They go between Springdale and Fort Smith, AR. Besides normal freight operation, there's passenger service. There's some antique-style stores in Fort Smith just down from the depot, but I wasn't too impressed.

Fort Smith, AR. trolley museum: http://www.fstm.org/