Thread: any experience with variable speed drives

Post any experience with variable speed drives

I would like to experiment with making a variable speed drive. Anybody ever built such a device and would you be willing to share your experience and maybe some pictures.

Are you talking about an electronic device or a mechanical device?

look into past pages for VFD variable frequency drive.

Buy from automationdirect.com probably cheapest place

I am thinking of a mechanical drive something along the lines of a variable diameter pulley that I could make in my home shop

Not sure how close you are to the mountains and snowmobiles. But the system used by them is similar to both my mill and lathe.

On the mill the drive pull width is controlled by springs. The driven pulley is controlled by the position of a plate and a bearing. That plate is positioned by a threaded rod.

Snowmobiles are opposite, the drive pulley uses weights and springs to control the pulley width. The driven pulley is controlled by an internal ramp and spring.

I would think you could pick up a couple of old snowmobile pulleys for cheap and be halfway there.

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 07-08-2004).]
    John

I went and got a photo of the lathe, it is the same set up as the snowmobile. The lathe uses hydraulics to control the motor pulley (lower pulley). The upper pulley has a simple spring assembly.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60961131DhvoNA

upper (driven) pulley
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60980741xPbGYd

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 07-08-2004).]
    John

Pasofino.

Shopsmith, who makes the five-in-one woodworking machine, has a mechanical variable speed drive installed in their units. I saw a demonstration of one at Home Depot and it ran fairly quiet. Perhaps you could contact Shopsmith and see if they will send you a parts breakdown of it. At least this way you will see how they did it. Who knows, perhaps you could buy one and adapt it to fit your purpose.

See if Reeves has a website,look up the spec on a sutible unit and copy it,after all they are simple as dirt and waaaay over priced.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Okay look here-
    http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/variables...Speed%20Drives

Scroll up for the complete VSD Adobe catalog and spec book.The things are simpler than VFD'S and you don't have to worry about them turning into arc welders
    I just need one more tool,just one!