Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates Micro-V belts

Post Gates Micro-V belts

Anyone know exactly what the angle of the ribs is on a Gates Micro-V belt?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Yup. 60 degrees included. Smaller pulleys will drive a bit better if the included angle is a bit skinnier. It's almost a case of blueing in the roughed pulley from the belt. Be careful to make the major diameter apexes (apecies?) with a P/8 flat or they will bottom in the belt groove and fail to drive without slipping.

Thumbs up

I used John's tip using the 11 tpi chaser to cut the grooves,worked well.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Thanks, I searched all over the Gates site after registering and could not find the specs.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Sorry Forrest, it's 40 degrees included angle. It's on page 242 of the PDF Gates _Heavy_Duty_V-Belt_Drive_Design_Manual. See

http://www.gates.com/catalogs/file_d...gates\catalogs

You have to register with Gates to download and it's rather large. Maybe you were thinking of Polyflex JB pulleys? They are nominally 60 degree included angle, but they are not compatible with Micro-V belts.

I've cut the grooves using a modified parting tool. I cut on the flank with the compound at 19 degrees, similar to threading. I used a dial indicator to set the carriage travel so the grooves came out the correct spacing.

Thanks Rklopp, I looked for an hour and couldn't find that. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Oh,I forgot to mention f--- gates!They make good v-belts and cog belts,but the poly vees suck royal,I use Goodyear or Dayco for them and we are a full line Gates dist at work.

Exclamation

Look at the sheave specs NOT THE BELTS! The sheaves are 55*(at least the Dayco and Wood's interchanges are)60 is a fudge but works great.

The link rklopp posted is to the sheave specs and it calls for 40 degrees +- .25°.

We must be lost in translation.