Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Low Cost Borescope

Default OT: Low Cost Borescope

Was talking to a couple of associates yesterday, one does a lot of high performance engine work and machining, the other is in charge of plant maintenance. They had both each recently acquired some cheap Chinese borescopes on a whim, thinking that spending $5-$10 on a borescope wasn't much of a gamble and could result in a disposable unit if the situation warranted it.

Bot of these guys related almost the same astonishment in the quality of the video/images that these units provided. One of them told me the images were better than the multi-thousand dollar units they had available in school when he took his training.

So just as a heads up I thought I would pass this info on to those that may not be aware of this low cost option.
    Apparently they are available for use with a Windows PC or Android based smart phones. I believe cable lengths run from 1M-15M. I think some have used the PC based units on Android smart phones with an app. I haven't done much research into the subject yet but I see that there is lots of online info available in both print and video format so let your fingers do the walking.

Just as a point of reference only, below is a link to an Ebay listing that is representative of the borescope in question. I know there are other options and pricing available so do a little leg work in order to find exactly what it is you're after if you are interested in one of these units.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5m-6LED-Andr...3D252290361151
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Already have one on order, about 2 weeks ago... $8 shipping included from China, USB output to computer or Android. I will let you know what it's like when it arrives.

Yeah, I figured... why not? It might work. I already have a $200 optical borescope that is a pain to use. On the other hand, I've heard that the cheap ones have cables that are too flimsy to steer around. Again, I'll let you know in a week or so,

David...

I have a real one I bought many years at Oshkosh for aircraft engines that works great. This may be OK but I really doubt it after the reviews I've read. Hope I'm wrong. I'm waiting for Lymans to go back on sale for rifle barrels.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

Intresting. I had wondered how long till someone would just try sticking a tiny $5 USB camera on the end of a cable instead of that fiber optic bundle stuff.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

I have a bendy boroscope I use under floors and in cavities, also Chinese, I have been very pleased with it, found quite a few leaky pipes and such, saves ripping up a whole floor, we had an endoscope in work ex hospital so I could guess where it had gotten to, even though it had been cleaned and sterilised I still reached for the nitrile gloves.
    Mark

I bought one of those Chinese borescopes a year or two ago. By the description of the one in the link, it's identical to the one I have. While I find it useful, I would not call the video quality high. Here is a vid I did recently checking the inside of a fuel tank after I'd cleaned it. Lighting was with a 7 watt LED bulb inserted into the tank through a different orifice. The LEDs on the camera are pretty feeble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLJNtc23BFU

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Ed, looked pretty good what was the orange stuff in the tank?
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

Hey Willy, since your associates were happy with what they tried, could you find out exactly what/where they got it? This stuff varies greatly from one offering to another so I'd like to start with one that at least one person thought was pretty good.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    Hey Willy, since your associates were happy with what they tried, could you find out exactly what/where they got it? This stuff varies greatly from one offering to another so I'd like to start with one that at least one person thought was pretty good.
    Thanks.
    Yes, after having a good look today I see there are a lot of subtle differences and options available so I'm sure they are not all the same. I'm always the skeptic as well but at this price level it may be worth a shot.
    Irregardless I did manage to contact one friend who lives in the US and he gave glowing reports from the item at this source.
    It ships from Calif. He stated it took four days for delivery. Apparently they do not ship to Canada so this is not an option for me.

But hey even if you only use it once to look at the plumbing below the toilette and toss it after if you don't like what you see, it's only about the price of a bottle of drain cleaner. For $6.10 USD I don't expect a lot, I've spent that kind of money more foolishly in the past.
    I'm waiting for others here like fiverdave to give us a review. I see ed_h isn't too happy, but I have seen better results on Youtube.
    The jury is still out for me.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I have been happy with my china "bore scope".
    Andy