Thread: Welding Table

"Acorn Slab"? ..."Acorn Pin Plates"?

That's a new term to me. What's it mean?
    Or it that a brand name?

jfsmith Guest

Post Welding Table

I need to build or buy a 1 Metre by 1 Metre welding table. what type of steel should I use, how thick and what should the legs be made out of? I don't have enough space of a large welding table, which I wany some day.

This is for gas, Stick and Mig welding.

Jerry

Mine is made from schedule 80 water pipe, has a electrical panel on one side, top sheetmetal is 3/8" thick, measures 30x30 top.

Mounted under the top is the Hobart stickmate, lincoln mig welder and gas bottle on back.

A set of metal rollers, receptacles on side make it easy to move to spot to spot unrolling power cord on back. I have a 120 volt receptacle on the front for grinding. (small breaker)

I have added two vises, a 2x2 socket to set different setups into. Right now it has the 12inch pan brake in it. It sets right out thou.

Mine stays covered up with the most current unfinished projects.

Make sure it is grounded, I not only took the building ground to it but the (-) leads from the welders with a lug terminal. I can just lay something on the table and strike a arc. I recently built the servo-gorilla mask like that. Free form.

I can post a picture if you can't see what I described.

David

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-17-2001).]

jfsmith Guest

I just looke at the Lincoln Welding site at their plans and instructions for a welding table. The finished one looks like some of my past projects a little off, here and there. :0

Jerry

My welding table is a piece of plate or a couple hunks of angle across a pair of steel shipping drums. Wedge it level and I'm ready for anything.

I've been looking for a nice deal in an Acorn pin slab for 40 years but never had the cash or the opportunity at the same time.

Forrest,I'm glad I'm not the only one looking,but not finding an acorn table

I did see a good one though,guy made his frame from 2-1/2x2-1/2"square tube and the top he made from 4" channel turned flanges down and spaced about 9/16" apart,this made slots for bolts and pony clamps so you could build jigs right on the table.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Go to the local metal scrap yard and look around. Lots of machine bases made of welded steel and various plate and angle at the one I visit. My welding table is outside, it is a machine base with a steel top, ribbed underneath and ground flat. It is a shame that it is now rusty but welding tables are meant to take a beating. The only problem I have with it is that it weighs about 1500 lb. so it is hard to move. On the other hand it is very steady when I need to put the heavy hits on it. It cost around tens per lb.

I use a radial drill base on a HEAVY stand.

The previous owner had come into some Acorn© plates.

bc
    BC

If ya wannit done your way ya gotta do it yourself.