Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masso CNC controller any opinions?

Default Masso CNC controller any opinions?

Spotted this and it looks like a great controller in that it's a full up,stand alone control at a decent price with actual clear documentation-

http://www.hindtechnology.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOohypDWiSk

$515 I consider a good price considering the features,build quality and simplicity of wiring.Could this be the controller HSM CNC builders have been waiting for?

No affiliation,just a potential customer.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Ehh.. Only 100khz out? And VGA, really?

Not expecting much from their WiFi, especially once you put this thing in a metal cabinet. It is just a serial-wifi adapter. I like to be able to see my CNC mill on the network to dump/retrieve files.

Yea I agree for now. A little more development and I'd be into trying one out maybe. It looks like a pretty good execution so far, though from the EEV blog review ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ4lC0tL4EA ) it appears there is no power stuff inside for driving motors directly unless it's been added since. However, having separate drivers rather than integrated is probably a better idea anyways in case something gets fried, but then you're stepping back into having separate modules for everything anyway and the purpose starts to become defeated a bit.

Come to think of it, having built a couple CNC things and in the middle of another one now, I actually like the idea of separate modules so I can maintain it simpler myself. I do like this unit as a fast-booting replacement for the PC and the software looks clean & usable. I'm not sure of the value of a fast-booting computer replacement at that price - if it were similarly priced I'd prefer the Masso. I for one don't really like the Mach3 GUI at all since it's terribly busy, gaudy and cluttered to my eyes, but of course you can pretty easily create your own custom Mach3 screen if you want. To me the Masso GUI is better.

Summary: if it supported HDMI and or touchscreen monitor (which I couldn't find info about either way), provided internal drivers for steppers that worked well (which it might already?), and the price would be on par or only a little higher than a Mach or LinuxCNC capable PC, then I'd say it's a great item. It takes me a bit of convincing to dish out $600 so I'm one of those people who would probably watch things a little while or at least spend a fair chunk of time weighing the pros & cons before I'd bite the bullet. As it is now the simplicity, clean GUI and easy connections definitely does make it pretty appealing.

In short, thumbs up but just a little dear.

edit to add: Just for comparison, my current build has a nicely small (for a desktop) and adequate PC with WinXP, 2 parallel ports, 1 breakout board, Mach3 license which total up to about $350 back when I bought it. If you include my Gecko G540 which is about maxed out with the steppers I'm driving, then you can double that. But unless the Masso drives as well and powerful as a G540 (which doesn't seem likely according to the EEVblog video) then that's something I'd have to add to the system anyway so ya can't count that. If it drove steppers as well as the Gecko, then it's cheaper too so becomes a very desirable item I think.

After further investigation: It seems clear that there is no power coming out of the unit to drive steppers nor relays, so you'd still have to add drivers and a relay board to use it. There may be some Raspberry Pi type boards to run as well for much cheaper if you were inclined to work it out. Today's cost of a Mach3 license added to a suitable desktop and parallel port cards probably comes to within one to two hundred bucks of this unit, so it's not bad for what it is other than no HDMI (really?) and as long as you are fine with the software, which I would be. So as for me, I'll continue to watch progress with interest and hope the creators persevere. A lot of these type of efforts fizzle out and evaporate sometimes. I hope they keep it up.
    Last edited by tyrone shewlaces; 11-27-2016 at 04:46 PM.

One of the features I found appealing is the built in encoder input for threading.To my mind that's something fairly difficult to achieve and pull of with Mach3.
    Beyond that the VGA connection really doesn't bother me,I figure they left that in there for cost and maybe the ability to source a monitor from the dumpster.

I will be finishing,hopefully,a new plasma table build this summer and I think I may just pull the trigger on one of these.I've used a couple of these drivers so far on a couple projects and love them for the simplicity-

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...ivers/kl-22083

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    One of the features I found appealing is the built in encoder input for threading.To my mind that's something fairly difficult to achieve and pull of with Mach3.
    That's true as long as it works well. I'd like to see somebody threading something with it. Heck, I'd like to see more of it doing whatever.

It#s not a stand alone controller it still needs a keyboard, mouse and monitor, all they have done is replace the PC with this box.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Its pretty typical to not have motor drivers in the controller. This allows you to connect whatever drives you want, from little steppers to big servos, just as long as they have step/direction inputs.

I still need to get my Kflop installed on my mill. I picked up the 24v IO board for it and it is still cheaper than this controller. And the kflop will do up to 2.5Mhz pulsing (if your drive can support it) as well as encoder feed back for dual loop. Of course you need a computer to run it but since all the work is done in the DSP on the board you dont need much, I bet you could even use one of the little stick PCs.

Oh, you can either use the kflop though a plugin in mach3 or you can use the standalone cnc interface software it comes with.
    Last edited by macona; 11-27-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrone shewlaces View Post
    it appears there is no power stuff inside for driving motors directly unless it's been added since. However, having separate drivers rather than integrated is probably a better idea anyways in case something gets fried, but then you're stepping back into having separate modules for everything anyway and the purpose starts to become defeated a bit.
    Modular systems are far superior to integrated units in that when a module fails you replace it rather than scrapping the whole system, or when the time comes you can upgrade from steppers to servos.
    The point isn't to put everything in one box, it's to replace the PC/OS/Controller Software/BOB with with one unit.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrone shewlaces View Post
    That's true as long as it works well. I'd like to see somebody threading something with it. Heck, I'd like to see more of it doing whatever.
    They have a Youtube channel up and do have one video of a small lathe threading some Aluminum.Can't really tell much from it,but looks like it works okay compared to some I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kk_QKyywAM

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    It#s not a stand alone controller it still needs a keyboard, mouse and monitor, all they have done is replace the PC with this box.
    Yes,but I like the fact that all of the inbox components can be plugged onto a Din rail and connected up in short order.That makes stuffing everything in an enclosure much easier and neater IMO.