Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SanDisk memory stick extortion

Default SanDisk memory stick extortion

Yesterday, I took some pics using my several years old Sony camera that uses a memory stick for storage. This morning I put the stick in my laptop to look at the pictures, and got this error message: You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Well no I don't want to format it and lose a couple hundred pics. My first thought was try the stick in another PC. Did that and got the same message. Nothing I tried worked, so I resorted to tech support for SanDisk, the manufacturer of the stick. Hurrah, they have a solution, several programs that will recover data from memory cards. Kind of pricey tho, at $39.95 for the cheapest version. They do however offer an evaluation version that is free. Seemed like a good deal, so I spent the next half hour jumping through the hoops to download and install the program. It scanned my stick and let me preview the pics. I thought Wow, this is great. Then the bomb exploded. It seems that in order to save or copy the pics, you have to fork over the $39.95 license fee. What BS. Why in Heck did they say this was a free evaluation? Talk about bait and switch. Or is it extortion, holding my stuff for ransom.
    Sorry for the rant, I'm pi$$ed.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Do you still have the usb cable? I have that happen with an old memory stick. Computer wouldn't read it, said it needed to be formatted. But the pics would show up fine on the camera screen. Just by chance I tried the cable and plugged it into the computer, and they came up fine. Transferred all the pics to the computer, then trashed the memory stick. Not sure if that will work for you, or if I just got lucky, but it might be something to try. Best of luck.

Thanks Dan. I decided to give your idea a shot since it sounded like a good one. I put the stick in the camera and as soon as it was turned on, the screen started flashing a format error message. I'm still going to try the usb cable while keeping my fingers crossed. Got to find the cable first.
    Last edited by Dave C; 12-01-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Lewis Grizzard

Found the cable, but the pc doesn't recognize the camera. I guess I'm sol.

Lewis Grizzard

Everybody wants a piece of everything we do it does make you mad. Dang it.

Dave

well - I have used linux and a utility called photorec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

It has saved my ass a hand full of times. I don't know how it works on any other os - says it works on windows.

sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Yesterday, I took some pics using my several years old Sony camera that uses a memory stick for storage. This morning I put the stick in my laptop to look at the pictures, and got this error message: You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Well no I don't want to format it and lose a couple hundred pics. My first thought was try the stick in another PC. Did that and got the same message. Nothing I tried worked, so I resorted to tech support for SanDisk, the manufacturer of the stick. Hurrah, they have a solution, several programs that will recover data from memory cards. Kind of pricey tho, at $39.95 for the cheapest version. They do however offer an evaluation version that is free. Seemed like a good deal, so I spent the next half hour jumping through the hoops to download and install the program. It scanned my stick and let me preview the pics. I thought Wow, this is great. Then the bomb exploded. It seems that in order to save or copy the pics, you have to fork over the $39.95 license fee. What BS. Why in Heck did they say this was a free evaluation? Talk about bait and switch. Or is it extortion, holding my stuff for ransom.
    Sorry for the rant, I'm pi$$ed.
    How old are the memory sticks? I don't think you have a right to feel pissed. The evaluation copy let you know that the software would work to recover your photos before you buy it.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Assuming that the demo-version dedicated recovery app shows large enough images could you not use a screen capture utility?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Assuming that the demo-version dedicated recovery app shows large enough images could you not use a screen capture utility?
    The preview shot was all thumbnails. Too small to be any good.

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    How old are the memory sticks? I don't think you have a right to feel pissed. The evaluation copy let you know that the software would work to recover your photos before you buy it.
    I agree that the demo shows that it can do the job. What I'm upset about is the fact that they make you believe that you are getting a free demo, but after downloading and installing the program you find out that it is in fact NOT a free demo, but an evaluation copy. I'm more pissed at myself for not reading the whole description before jumping in and downloading it. I just wish they would have been more up front with the costs instead of hiding it in the fine print.

Lewis Grizzard