Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Legos.....yikes

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    Part of our Lego layout...

Ah, large diameter drivers on that steamy... tricky and spendy to find those these days! Nice trains.

Heres two of my kits that I've had since a young child. I am now 36. The crane taught me a lot about gear ratios, different kind of gears, and of course pneumatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RB211, that pneumatic Unimog crane is one of the best Lego kits imo..they really packed alot into it.. very clever. The metal hook brings good money nowadays. Having a son has given me license to revisit ie buy the kits I never had as a kid! It's educational right?

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    RB211, that pneumatic Unimog crane is one of the best Lego kits imo..they really packed alot into it.. very clever. The metal hook brings good money nowadays. Having a son has given me license to revisit ie buy the kits I never had as a kid! It's educational right?
    Yes they are! All the plans are available online. I actually had 2 unimogs, evident by the fact I have two metal hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you need an excuse? Just say "I like it" and buy it.

I built a 6' snowman (I'm 5'6") tonight because I wanted to. I wanted a big one, and decided to stop rolling when I couldn't get the base to turn any more. I had to get my sister to help me roll the second section up a ramp.

All being an adult means is that you keep an eye out for your responsibilities while having fun. Don't buy so many Lego you can't buy Eggo, eh?

They are fun. My daughter is a 30yr old competitor, she travels to events around the country from her at home. This clip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvsYEniseGk
    shows a bit about the fun that can be had, she and her team got a second prize for their contribution to this scene shown. My 10 yr old grandson, her son and I build things from scratch as the video shows all the time.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

...Having a son has given me license to revisit ie buy the kits I never had as a kid! It's educational right?
    I keep buying Lego for my kid, now 6. He (I) have quite a few rubbermaid bins of the duplo stuff, and a lot of assembled (regular sized) kits too. Seems Lego has basically replaced model building of old these days, what with the highly customized kits. My kid likes playing with the completed stuff but shows little more than impatience during assembly. The basic stuff, mostly thrift store bought, has little interest for him, despite my efforts.

I was a Mechano kid, not Lego, but times change. Someday, I hope to entice my kid into the maker (rather than consumer) world, but it's not easy these days. I'll probably succeed at making him a programmer first, before maker. Then, maybe robotics, and then full-on making. I have dreams anyway, and tubs full of Lego. But, I have fun

David...

Lego don't just make toys, there are the architectural model sets (you really don't want to see the price, 3 X zeros, the hybrid electronic block sets amongst other things)
    However the 'themed' sets like birds, etc to me aren't conducive of imagination, you buy a set and build a Death Star or whatever, it does teach following instructions pictorially but people good at those tend to suffer compared to written instructions, we used the 2 methods to interview people, kids who were really good at Lego were hard to retrain industrial instructions are verbal so they were having trouble.
    I'd prefer a kit of parts with no instructions, just suggestions, get the grey matter working but that's mho
    Mark

Land Mines planted by small childern. Only active at night
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

My 4 year old is getting into Lego big time. I love it. I still have 2 big rubbermaids from my childhood, and we're working on building up his. I'm not (neither is he) a "kit" guy. Yeah, build it once, to play with it, but then it all goes back in the same bin to be remade into something else. His little sister (2.5) loves to "pay yeahgo's tooooo" ha ha. Fun times in our house after dinner.