Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This year's kids Christmas present for the wife

Very nice. Great idea!

Jim

Outstanding! I get a case of the ass every Christmas due to the focus on all the gift purchasing. I think you and Sophie did a great job and the thoughtfulness and sentiment can't be purchased for any money. I'm sure mom will cherish this gift.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
    If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing

Thanks for posting and great work!

Nice to see some younger folk in the shop . Working with your hands is one of the great things we can teach our kids.

Merry Christmas!

thanks all! She is a little trooper, that's for sure. We did go in whenever she couldn't feel her feet, I'm not inhuman after all Seriously though, we waited til the cold snap passed (-10C or worse) and dressed up warm. No point heating the place, it's completely uninsulated.

one of the things I like the most about doing stuff like this is getting her to think in 3 dimensions and how stuff fits together, it really gets her brain working. Doesn't hurt that it gives me a good excuse to spend hours in the shop either!

and yes, a mill is top of the list as soon as we move and get settled somewhere

Very nice project and great that your daughter stuck with it. I built my CNC machine because my 10 year old grandson talked about building robots. I goofed he didn't share my enthusiasm. However recently at 12 he had to do a school project. Other kids were making a solar oven from a pizza box like in a book. Instead I helped him design a solar furnace that might even melt metal. He drew all the parts on plywood and used my jigsaw to cut them out. We had a 5" lens to concentrate the light and I helped him write a program and cut a press fit on the CNC. A fire brick with a hole carved out held the material to be melted. It was almost winter, couldn't quite melt aluminum. The teacher was impressed and let the class go outside to test it. So it was all good.

However a present I made for him when he was five really scored off the charts. I made a set of simple wooden blocks from 3/4" x 1-1/2" poplar strips from home depot. However as a kid there were never enough blocks to make anything cool. So I made over 800 blocks that nested in a simple chest. We both have played with these blocks even today. Its 100% imagination no pre-designed models.

Awesome story Gary! Things like those blocks or the things I've made with or for the girls last a lot longer than any thing you can buy, of only for the stories behind them. My brother and I still have the things our dad made for us as kids years and years ago.

Sophie is a very fortunate young lady. She's learning important things that will stay with her no matter what paths she pursues in her future.

That is so cool in so many ways! A nice handmade gift can have a lot more heart in it that one that's purchased. Nice work.

I like how you two put pointed cat snaggers on it - I few times messing with those and they will think twice about knocking that thing around again

Awesome post. Congrats to you and your daughter for having the true Christmas spirit. We always make something for each other too. This year I made her a gauge ring for knitting needles. She, as she does every year, made me socks.