Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any machining or shop New Years Resolutions?

Default Any machining or shop New Years Resolutions?

Mine is finsh the small "in house" shop & finish the Gattling. Happy New Year!
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

I'm going to try not to be so quick to tidy stuff away. Three times today I've had to get a DTI out after I thought I had finished with it.

i wont buy any new machines.

I'm keeping mine from 30 years ago:

"I firmly resolve not to make any more stupid *$#%@& New Years resolutions."

Going great ever since.
    Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    i wont buy any new machines.
    Which doesn't stop you from buying some old machines.

Quote Originally Posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
    Which doesn't stop you from buying some old machines.
    lol.....I too pledge to stop. If I had to make a resolution it would be to have an open and honest meeting with myself before any machine purchase or initiation of a new project along the lines of "just exactly how long with this project/reconditioning to take.....and will it really be worth it". I end up in trouble because I can do a lathe or reno my kitchen in an evening....in my mind.

I pledge to reduce the projects on deck to at less that 1000 by the end of 2017

never new years resolutions

the company I worked for insisted on some nonsense called objectives, which are essentially documented new years resolutions. then they sent me on road trips, changed the job description, eliminated or added requirements, et cetera. either you were not where the task was, or the task went away while you were studying it, or you worked a different task.

then they refused to give you a raise or threatened to fire you because you did not do what they did not let you do.

regarding old machines - a few years back I looked through my house, trying to sort things into what I would keep if I moved across town, across the state of cross country. I noticed that most of what I have that I would not keep came from yard sales, swap meets, pawn shops, thrift shops... and I try to avoid those venues

I am on my way to the library. there is a swap meet on the way. the library does not open for another hour. the trick is, don't carry cash. having to go a mile to the bank, ending up two blocks from the library, makes me forego the swap meet purchase and end up at the library instead. getting away for a moment and thinking about it cools off the desire to make an impulse buy.
    Last edited by AD5MB; 12-30-2016 at 11:00 AM.

I have three 3.5" gauge locomotives in various stages, that I should continue to work on, i.e., keep going until I require an expensive casting or boiler. An LBSC Petrolea, Rob Roy, and a K4 pacific that I bought plans for that I can't find... Ok, my OCD is kicking in, MUST FIND THOSE DRAWINGS, arghh.
    Also have my GE44 project that I should continue, Simplex upgauged to 7.5", what else?
    Oh yeh, make a control box for the vfd on the mill, replace the old power feed with modern one, put a vfd on the lathe with new motor, new air compressor or new compressor head, restore my John Deere 140, etc

Finish my wood shop, and possibly get my blacksmithing stuff setup to use. Right now everything is like one of those sliding block puzzles where I have to move 8 things just to use something. It's getting tiring......

I too should refrain from promising anything, as I never finish what I star
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.