Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DSG worm gear I.D and manufacture

O.K so far so good.

I parted off the worm today to approximately the right length and bored it out to accept the spindle diameter.

Tomorrow I plan to broach the internal dovetail keyway.

I'm going to have to grind the tools needed out of HSS. Mount the tool in a boring bar? and then broach on the lathe?

Any advice?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by blckbx View Post
    O.K so far so good.

I parted off the worm today to approximately the right length and bored it out to accept the spindle diameter.

Tomorrow I plan to broach the internal dovetail keyway.

I'm going to have to grind the tools needed out of HSS. Mount the tool in a boring bar? and then broach on the lathe?

Any advice?

Al
    DOVETAIL keyway? Really?

I think I can envision such a thing, cutting it would not be trivial. I can envision it being a 3 step process.

Nice work so far!

Dave
    Last edited by becksmachine; 01-22-2017 at 02:49 PM.

I had never heard to a dovetail keyway ..... hats off to DSG legendary quality.

Dave Lawrence

Broaching was a pain in the ass.

I ended up with a useable slot but not happy with the finish. TBC

Put the apron back together and seemed to have a nice mesh between the worm and the wheel. On running things were not quite right. Long power feed runs fine going left to right. Long power feed jams going right to left. Cross feed works fine in both directions. It's all powered off of the same gearing????? Sigh!!

Strip down again and see whats going on

Al

Maybe it has to do with thrust bearings on the end of a shaft?

I would understand if the cross slide also bound in one direction not just the longitudinal feed. The key might be binding? as it doesn't have to move when operating the cross slide feed. It wasn't the best fit and there was some interference between the key and the keyway on the drive spindle. If the clutch on the drive spindle is weak that might be the answer.

Still not got this to run smoothly.
    I took out the worm wheel and smoothed out the wear grooves on the teeth. Its still jamming.
    When I first removed the original worm i was surprised that it wasn't securely supported by its bushes on either end. I.E when i removed the drive shaft it dropped into the bottom of the gearbox. I presumed this was wrong and made the replacement worm longer and rebated on either end so it remains in place independently of the drive shaft and supported by the bushes on either end.
    On looking at a previous post on a DSG re-build (mcgyver) The worm looked identical to my original. Is there any reason that the worm should have a small amount of longitudinal 'travel' on the drive shaft within its gearbox? Could this be part of the problem?

Al