Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Fishing rod repair (some machining content)

Default OT: Fishing rod repair (some machining content)

Well ,maybe not ALL OT. I replaced a few guides on 2 poles I have had for years now. I found some parts at my favorite place, an Oregon Coast garage sale. Next, it was off to the fabric store, where there is the sewing expert, kinda like the wiley old machinist that still lives in a few shops. Also known as the "little old lady". She asked what I needed, and I told her that I was repairing a couple fishing rods, and needed some thread. She said " well you'll need nylon thread, as coarse as we have, I'll fix ya right up. Turns out it's like upholstery type thread. I went home to my shop, and made an adapter for my BBQ rotisserie motor. (machining content) So, I superglued the new guides in place and power wrapped them. Worked like a champ.
    So now the question is; what to use to seal the wrapping with? I've heard that modern rods use an epoxy type of sealer. I'm not wanting to refinish the rods complete, or buy a quart of material (I'm cheap). Any ideas?

And, even more OT, the Little old lady. She was REALLY friendly. I guess that I'll just have to get used to the fact that now that I'm retired, the friendly girls are in their 60's. I never considered that the fabric store might be a place to pick up chicks!

And, to all a good night, TC

I have built a few fly rods and always use urethane varnish to seal the wrappings. I would not use epoxy it's not very friendly should you need to replace a guide in the future.

Joe B

What about using clear finger nail polish?
    It's cheap and comes in a small with a brush!

Typically a slower set epoxy is used, like 30 min, while the rod is spinning to keep the coat even. I've replaced a few guides in this way using 5 min, could have been prettier but worked just fine. A light heat gun on the epoxy thins it for a smooth coat and gets out the bubbles. I've got a pile of broken rods to salvage guides from

As usual, Youtube is your friend here.

And just because I have to take any opportunity, here's a pic from my final Nov kayak trip in NY Harbor.

Epoxy is not UV-proof. And fishing rods are customarily used out-of-doors.

Clear nail varnish is the traditional finish. It's cheap, available in small handy amounts, dries rapidly and comes complete with brush. It can be removed with acetone. I re-did my old split cane fly rod with it years ago, and it lasted for at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burch View Post
    Epoxy is not UV-proof.
    The rodbuilding specific epoxies are formulated with UV protection, and are the modern standard of rod production. I did use regular 5 minute, but that's me just wanting to get it done. What makes you think nail varnish meant for a week or 2 of life is any more UV resistant? UV is nasty stuff, but my tackle is stored indoors, it takes a fair amount of exposure to degrade most materials.

http://proproducts.us/portfolio-prod...-epoxy-finish/

When I used to build offshore trolling rods, I used Superglue, seemed that, in our area anyway, everyone who built rods used it, don't recall ever having a problem with it.
    olcop

Quote Originally Posted by gellfex View Post
    Typically a slower set epoxy is used, like 30 min, while the rod is spinning to keep the coat even. I've replaced a few guides in this way using 5 min, could have been prettier but worked just fine. A light heat gun on the epoxy thins it for a smooth coat and gets out the bubbles. I've got a pile of broken rods to salvage guides from

As usual, Youtube is your friend here.

And just because I have to take any opportunity, here's a pic from my final Nov kayak trip in NY Harbor.

Nice fish. Do you have a photo of your kayak.? I am curious to see how you guys fish in different parts of the world. Our kayaks are very different.

I've replaced a few guides before and always hand wrapped, then finished with a clear nail polish. Used a sparkle one on a buddies rod once, ha ha.

If I am rushing I use nail polish,usually pink .If Im in for a good looking job I use a product called pratley glo by kraftex.Its a clear epoxy type polmer that takes a long time to dry and must be rotated