Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Special Lathe belt grinder

Default Special Lathe belt grinder

I repair 5C collet drawbars The customers always appreciate a job that looks nice so I made a special direction lathe belt grinder for finishing the tubes.IT works well it was important to me that the grinder rotated and such a direction as to push the sparks and a grtp away from me. I had to reverse the direction of the grinder and I also wanted the belt to be on the side of the Chuck and the motor to be on the tail stocks side I also had to lock tight some bolts inside of there because they were right-hand bolts and I was afraid they were going to come loose.This grinder has been a good project and it makes a tedious job almost fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 01-09-2017 at 04:12 PM.

I edited the title to say lathe belt grinder ,but it stayed the same .

Well, this is timely.

In recent days I have just been sketching out ideas for a fixture to restore a brushed finish on aluminum tubes.

The approach here has been in the direction of mounting the tube in a fabricated machine (equipped w/ powered cloth belts and rag buffing wheels), as opposed to a hand-held tool. The reason being a desire for uniformity of the brushed finish - maybe I am over-thinking ?

Edit: Can you please post further about the overarm framework and the modifications to the right angle grinder

Last edited by EddyCurr; 01-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.

what a neat idea!

For a uniform brushed finish you can get a ScotchBrite belt for the belt sander (many sizes available).

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    I had to reverse the direction of the grinder and I also wanted the belt to be on the side of the Chuck and the motor to be on the tail stocks side I also had to lock tight some bolts inside of there because they were right-hand bolts and I was afraid they were going to come loose.
    Nice work!
    Any issues running the motor on reverse? AFAIK the brushes are usually set asymmetrically or set to "advance" in normal direction.

Default Making the grinder go backwards for 1 by 42 grinding belt

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    Well, this is timely.

In recent days I have just been sketching out ideas for a fixture to restore a brushed finish on aluminum tubes.

The approach here has been in the direction of mounting the tube in a fabricated machine (equipped w/ powered cloth belts and rag buffing wheels), as opposed to a hand-held tool. The reason being a desire for uniformity of the brushed finish - maybe I am over-thinking ?

Edit: Can you please post further about the overarm framework and the modifications to the right angle grinder

The grinder is the $25 harbor freight orange grinder,they are really bulletproof. Don't get the $15 one, To reverse directions. take brushes out pull both ends of motor off remove armature the next is the hardest part remove the brush leads from brush holder and reverse them BUT TAKE CARE to tuck them out of the way so they clear the armature . You have now reversed the rotation. now go to the gear end If I remember correctly their is a nut holding a gear on the armature,remove it and clean and blow and cleanand blow and reassemble with RED HIGH STRENGTH LOCTITE tHE GEAR END IS VERY SIMPLE If there is any other rotating nuts or screws Loctite them. Also Loctite the aluminum drivewheel on the grinder. The drive wheels and other wheels are made from about 3 inch round aluminum. The wheels are crowned by turning a 3 degree angel on O.D. meeting in the middle.I had problems with the belt coming off so Altered the front wheel I crowned it and resesed the O.D.The bearings are 5/16 id skatewheel bearings available any where.This project is very handy Especialy with some of the crummy steel we are getting now.You get a better looking finish by not moving the belt sideways too fast. Also I made a bracket to power feed for longer jobs. Edwin Dirnbeckl

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    The grinder is the $25 harbor freight orange grinder,they are really bulletproof. Don't get the $15 one, To reverse directions. take brushes out pull both ends of motor off remove armature the next is the hardest part remove the brush leads from brush holder and reverse them BUT TAKE CARE to tuck them out of the way so they clear the armature . You have now reversed the rotation. now go to the gear end If I remember correctly their is a nut holding a gear on the armature,remove it and clean and blow and cleanand blow and reassemble with RED HIGH STRENGTH LOCTITE tHE GEAR END IS VERY SIMPLE If there is any other rotating nuts or screws Loctite them. Also Loctite the aluminum drivewheel on the grinder. The drive wheels and other wheels are made from about 3 inch round aluminum. The wheels are crowned by turning a 3 degree angel on O.D. meeting in the middle.I had problems with the belt coming off so Altered the front wheel I crowned it and resesed the O.D.The bearings are 5/16 id skatewheel bearings available any where.This project is very handy Especialy with some of the crummy steel we are getting now.You get a better looking finish by not moving the belt sideways too fast. Also I made a bracket to power feed for longer jobs.This is a picture of a dirty piece of black iron pipe. Edwin Dirnbeckl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 01-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.

I can't help but notice the similarities to a crankshaft journal posher

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

What belt are you using? No doubt you found out the HF ones are rather poor - glue wont hold. Looks like a 1" er of some length.

I have liked my little sander, it just shucks the belt much to quickly, and so far I havent found a good enough glue to 'restick' them....

Neat project by the way!!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........